Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th February 2011, 07:23 PM
Friend

I now only use RC paper and here is my list and reasons:

In order of Favourites

1st
Fotospeed RCVC in Oyster (for all the reasons Richard mentioned) my everyday paper good range of tones with PD5 and WT10 dev

2nd
Kentmere VC Select Fine Lustre
Exceptional blacks good for machinery, and strong hard shapes

3rd
Ilford Multigrade IV Satin
Very good for portraits with, softer compliments female skin well and for reducing contrast for outdoor shots in very strong contrasty sun.

4th
For the little FB I've used, I quite like Kentmere Fineprint glossy air dryed for quality blacks and brilliant whites.

That's it - cheers!
Old 13th February 2011, 07:57 PM
Friend

I like resin-coated papers for work prints, contact-printing and scanning for uploading to the gallery, but I still prefer the look of fibre-based prints.
I usually use glossy papers, but the more I see photos on matt papers, the more I like them. I also prefer untoned prints, although I have seen some very pleasant toned prints.
I want to try Adox MCC in the near future, but I will wait until the matt surface becomes available.

Thanks for all of the replies of the different types of papers available.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:13 PM
Friend

I'm currently quite a fan of colder-toned papers. I've still got several boxes of Kentmere Bromide to use, but I'm on the lookout for a replacement.

I use a lot of other graded papers, including Adox Nuance and Kentmere Kentona (now sadly discontinued), developing them in a 2-bath dev such as Beers. I've just started experimenting with Adox MCC and very much like what I see so far, particularly in ID78.

In RC I find I find Ilford MGIV pearl hard to beat for general use - good blacks, easy-to-control highlighs and a nice neutral tone.

Rob
Old 13th February 2011, 09:21 PM
Friend

I have a load of Forte cooltone - which is OK but mos of it is glossy - which I don't like. Bought a job-lot s/h you see.
I like Paterson RC - whatever that was. Kodak Polyprint is lovely - again RC.
FB - Kentmere Finesomething is a great price and nice. Adox Nuance is just wonderful and I would use a lot of that if I could afford it!
Basically, I use what I have. Oh ORWO fb is great too.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I'm currently quite a fan of colder-toned papers. I've still got several boxes of Kentmere Bromide to use, but I'm on the lookout for a replacement.

I use a lot of other graded papers, including Adox Nuance and Kentmere Kentona (now sadly discontinued), developing them in a 2-bath dev such as Beers. I've just started experimenting with Adox MCC and very much like what I see so far, particularly in ID78.

In RC I find I find Ilford MGIV pearl hard to beat for general use - good blacks, easy-to-control highlighs and a nice neutral tone.

Rob
Rob, I had forgotten all about Kentmere Bromide, I have seen some lovely enlargements on that paper. Now there's a thought.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesmier View Post
I have a load of Forte cooltone - which is OK but mos of it is glossy - which I don't like. Bought a job-lot s/h you see.
I like Paterson RC - whatever that was. Kodak Polyprint is lovely - again RC.
FB - Kentmere Finesomething is a great price and nice. Adox Nuance is just wonderful and I would use a lot of that if I could afford it!
Basically, I use what I have. Oh ORWO fb is great too.
Your spoilt for choice of which to use.
Old 13th February 2011, 11:00 PM
Friend

Interesting to hear what folk use or prefer...

I've always been a fibre-base, gloss fan myself, never used matte except for the long-gone Kentmere Art Document and Kodalith Transtar - both fantastic papers.

But when I say gloss, I don't mean the mirror-finish of RC, but the air-dried finish of fibre, which is more of a sheen than a gloss.
I'm looking forward to trying the new Ilford Art paper though, it may be the first matte that I'm comfortable with - apart from the price...

Current favourites are:
1) Adox Nuance - love it!
2) Adox MCC - haven't used it a lot yet, but very promising.
3) Fomatone 131 - mainly for lith work, but a very flexible paper in many ways.

Ilford Warmtone is a lovely paper too, but I don't use a lot of it. I would agree about Ilford's quality control and consistency, a particular issue with some of the Eastern European papers.
Old 14th February 2011, 08:49 AM
Friend

I am currently enjoying Foma Fomabrom Variant III for its cold blacks. I just discovered a box of Kentmere VC select in a sort of lustre finish. I was surprised to find it was still good even though it was over 5 years old. It also gives very nice cold blacks especially in Burki and Jenny's cold tone developer (similar but slightly colder than D72). I treated myself to Adox Variotone, MCC and MCP for Christmas and look forward to seeing how they perform in Ansco 130.
Old 15th February 2011, 01:09 AM
Friend

Adox Nuance is very good, I bought Fomatone mainly for lith work and its wonderful. I also bought some Fomabrom to try in lith developer the semi matt version, I haven't had a chance to try it in lith yet but it prints well in normal developer but not enough D-max for my liking, I think I would go for the gloss next time (I think the 111) and Multigrade both standard and WT are good.

Neil
Old 15th February 2011, 10:01 AM
Friend

Default FB Papers

I use Fomabrom Variant III glossy - air dried and unglazed. I have never liked Matt paper but did use Ilford's Pearl surface on RC paper for commercial work years ago.

I too miss Forte but at least I can afford the Fomabrom: In Berlin, 50 sheets of 16" x 12" costs 85€ whereas 50 sheets of Ilford FB Warmtone costs a whopping 178€
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de

Tags
cold, developer, neutral, toners., warm
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies