Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th December 2010, 11:58 AM
Friend

Default Meopta Opemus 5

I am looking at an auction for one of these start finishes in a few hours, are they any good? I was looking for an enlarger capable of colour and MF as well as B&W. It comes with a B&W head plus the colour but the bulb has gone in the colour head. Are there any problems locating bulbs for these? Are they just standard?

Should I wait for something better?

Thanks in advance.

Been heavily into digital for several years and just starting with the art of film and developing the film and prints myself. I am here to learn and to share with others.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:21 PM
Friend

As far as the bulb goes, you need to ask the seller what it was. Most enlarger bulbs for colour heads come from a limited stock i.e. there isn't an infinite variety with each peculier to only one enlarger, well not as far as I know so you should be able to find one.

Maybe someone here will know exactly what bulb it takes. Once you know try Technical Lamps (www.techlamps.co.uk) or ring them on 012089796652.

I have found them knowledgeable and quick to deliver. There is a min delivery charge so I'd buy two lamps so you have a spare.

Mike

P.S. buy the enlarger if it is right for you but don't get rushed into a decision about it and live to regret that decision. Like buses others will be along very soon

Mike
Old 7th December 2010, 12:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
As far as the bulb goes, you need to ask the seller what it was. Most enlarger bulbs for colour heads come from a limited stock i.e. there isn't an infinite variety with each peculier to only one enlarger, well not as far as I know so you should be able to find one.

Maybe someone here will know exactly what bulb it takes. Once you know try Technical Lamps (www.techlamps.co.uk) or ring them on 012089796652.

I have found them knowledgeable and quick to deliver. There is a min delivery charge so I'd buy two lamps so you have a spare.

Mike

P.S. buy the enlarger if it is right for you but don't get rushed into a decision about it and live to regret that decision. Like buses others will be along very soon

Mike
Mike,

Thanks. I can't contact him before the auction unfortunately. The auction does come with a lot of other things that would be useful too so it is worth getting. There are quite a few things that I need to get hold of which if bought separately would be expensive but with a whole dark room lot they work out quite cheap

Been heavily into digital for several years and just starting with the art of film and developing the film and prints myself. I am here to learn and to share with others.
Old 7th December 2010, 02:02 PM
Friend

I used to use an Opemus 6 which is "son of Opemus 5" I believe. They are not the prettiest enlargers but they are well made and work well. If the Meocolour head is anything like the meograde B&W head you will find it a pleasure to work with.
Old 7th December 2010, 02:05 PM
Friend

Although more expensive this auction is a more modern set up: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meopta-Opemus-...item1c1790144e
Old 7th December 2010, 02:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
Although more expensive this auction is a more modern set up: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meopta-Opemus-...item1c1790144e
Thanks, if I don't get the first one I will probably look at that.

EDIT: Rather a long drive though!

Old 7th December 2010, 05:22 PM
Friend

I use Meopta opemus 6, not the best looking enlarger but very strong,well made and will last a lifetime,you can get a color head as well as a multigrade head, I use the condenser head, and you can print negatives up to 6x6, if you want bigger then there is an opemus 7, or the magifax, I would tend to leave a opemus 5 as I believe it uses a non standard lens mount,look for a 6 or 7, they are bigger versions of the axamot you have, as for a bulb,I believe they are pretty standard and easy to locate, try or RK photographic, one of the forums sponcers,Richard
Old 7th December 2010, 06:57 PM
Friend

Woo hoo,

Won the auction with 2 seconds to go !!!

£81.74 for : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_536wt_1072

I was going to buy another 4 concertina bottles for £6 each anyway so that was £24 off my shopping list and I got 5

More dev tanks!
Another print frame!
More multigrade filters!
More trays!

I will put together a complete package now from spares and stick it back on!

Old 7th December 2010, 08:16 PM
Friend

Good range of ancilliary equipment to go with the enlarger. I think you have done well.

mike
Old 7th December 2010, 08:23 PM
Friend

I expect your colour head uses a 12V 100W halogen bulb just like my Meopta Color 3 head does. They are easy to obtain. I have had my Opemus 6 for many years and it still works like new. The colour head works well both with colour and multigrade B&W paper.
Enjoy your printing.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies