Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2010, 10:44 AM
Friend

Dave,
As you are aware I recently joined the forum. I received some nice welcomes, including one from a guy in Petersfield who suggested we try and get a few people together for a meeting. I replied to him on the same thread but his message and my reply have disappeared.
Any idea where I might find them as I did not make a note of his contact details?
Paul
Old 8th November 2010, 11:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBJE View Post
Dave,
As you are aware I recently joined the forum. I received some nice welcomes, including one from a guy in Petersfield who suggested we try and get a few people together for a meeting. I replied to him on the same thread but his message and my reply have disappeared.
Any idea where I might find them as I did not make a note of his contact details?
Paul
Have you looked under "Meeting" and is this the one?

We do have a search facility that will find key words which is accessible from the tool bar that is useful in such circumstances.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:55 AM
Friend

Thanks Dave,
I haven't quite got to grips with how the whole thing works, but I am getting there!

Paul
Old 8th November 2010, 11:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBJE View Post
Thanks Dave,
I haven't quite got to grips with how the whole thing works, but I am getting there!

Paul
When you get there then please take time to explain it to me.
Old 28th November 2010, 03:33 PM
Friend

What happens to threads/posts? For instance, I see a thread/post then reply and sometimes my answer appears as the last respondent but most times it seems to disappear off my list of new posts. I had always expectd it to then re-appear on the list of new posts as it seems to do on another site called APUG which seems to be more intuitive.

Last night it became even stranger. A new user Gary Spicer asked about adding an extension to a Jobo 1510 tank. I looked at it, couldn't reply as I hadn't got the info for him.

Today it has disappeared on my new posts list. I have found it again. It still has no replies.

Presumably it still shows on others' lists. Otherwise the scenario can be that a few see it but no-one can immediately answer. If once you "open" it to look it disappears then no -one answers it as it is out of sight and out of mind.

Presumably if I now have an answer for Gary but no-one else has answered to keep it alive and keep it on the new post lists then I have to find it again to answer.

It might be something I am doing wrong but if not then it is a pity that it disappears. If no-one has an answer to a query and it disappears off the lists then the first time inquirer gets no answer and promptly abandons FADU?

Not what we want to happen.

It might just be me being "thick" but I'd appreciate someone explaining exactly how it works.

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th November 2010, 04:19 PM
Friend

Once you have viewed a post it ceases to be a new post to you so will disappear off your “New Posts” list. Others logging-on will still see it as a “New Post”.

It will still be available to you from the “Quick Links” menu > “Today’s Posts” or “Last 7 days Posts” or by using the “Search” facility.

Out of interest we operate using the same basic vBulletin software as APUG, although we are an upgrade version behind, so there shouldn’t be any difference between the two forums in operating methods.
There is also a facility where you can “Subscribe to this thread” and get email responses, that is under “Thread Tools”.

As a general point I don’t think it unreasonable that someone should sometimes wait a day or so for a reply as many Friends do not log-on everyday so if the question is somewhat obscure, as here, an instant reply may not be forthcoming. Generally I feel that the level of help offered by members of this forum is very high, and nothing to be unduly concerned about; perhaps others may care to comment on that point.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:28 PM
Friend

Thanks Dave. It may be that the OP sees his thread in the new posts each time he log on in which case no problem as he/she knows that it is still current and it is simply that no-one has an answer for him/her

My fear was that if a newcomer's thread disappears for the newcomer then he/she might think that it has become hidden or relegated, think that he/she isn't really wanted and disappear or worse spread the word that a site was found that wasn't friendly.

Ideally new users ought to start by introducing themselves whereupon they unfailingly get a welcome response. Not everyone however dips their toes in the water in this way. Some gauge a site by what information their query solicits.

However as I said not a problem if the Po realises that his /her query is still "live".

Mike
Old 28th November 2010, 06:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Dave. It may be that the OP sees his thread in the new posts each time he log on in which case no problem as he/she knows that it is still current and it is simply that no-one has an answer for him/her

My fear was that if a newcomer's thread disappears for the newcomer then he/she might think that it has become hidden or relegated, think that he/she isn't really wanted and disappear or worse spread the word that a site was found that wasn't friendly.

Ideally new users ought to start by introducing themselves whereupon they unfailingly get a welcome response. Not everyone however dips their toes in the water in this way. Some gauge a site by what information their query solicits.

However as I said not a problem if the Po realises that his /her query is still "live".

Mike
The poster will not see their post when they log-on, the thread will only be flagged as a "New Post" when another post has been added to that thread.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:46 AM
Friend

Default Including links

I haven't needed to until now so how can I include a link in a post ?
I've done a search but not found an answer.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:59 AM
Friend

Highlight the word(s) you want to be the link, then click the icon that looks like a globe with a chain link below it (third from the right). When the dialogue box appears enter the URL you want to link to.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies