Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Auctions of Interest

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2011, 07:12 PM
Friend

Default 2x De vere 504 enlargers

Anyone on here buy the 2 (yes, 2) De Vere 504 enlargers that were on ebay this morning?

Prepare to cry if you missed them, £60 BIN for both with lenses and loads of other bits.

No pics but worth the risk...I nearly did but they were in London.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:21 PM
Friend

It is so sad to see these beautiful enlargers going for such little money - especially as I paid a lot more for mine

I hope they have ended up with some creative photographers who will love them and use them

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th June 2011, 07:44 PM
Friend

if I buy any more junk from ebay she (my wife )will kill me (her words)
some wife,s just don,t understand .
one woman,s junk is another man,s treasure .
Old 15th June 2011, 08:35 PM
Friend

The sad reality is that De Vere 504s and all of the other versions are worthless in themselves. They are built like tanks and will live forever. However, the market is such that the only ones with value are those with a multigrade head or, as a poorer substitute, with a colour head or a closed-loop head.

Nevertheless, they are fine enlargers but only with the correct light-source. All of you in the UK are lucky that they come up pretty frequently on eBay, in Germany they are rare as Hens teeth. I have a complete 500 system that works fantastic but I have been looking for the past year for a back-up system that I can afford and, understandably, most UK sellers will not ship to Germany.

Anyone who wants an unbeatable multigrade system system and lives near enough should check this out on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DeVere-504-enl...#ht_500wt_1137
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 15th June 2011, 11:50 PM
Friend

The enlargers I've sold have gone to all corners of the globe, but I had to sell them piece by piece. Even so a column makes for a large parcel.
The price seems entirely dependent on whether you'll ship it or not - which of course gets very pricey for international.
Go for a long drive and collect... and you get a 504 for a tenner. In my case it was a cathomag though, but it was what I wanted.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
It is so sad to see these beautiful enlargers going for such little money - especially as I paid a lot more for mine

Neil.
Sits in corner crying.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post

I hope they have ended up with some creative photographers who will love them and use them

Neil.
Its even more sad to see them being disposed of. I intercepted mine on its way to a skip, the previous owner was just going to chuck it when he closed his darkroom. He was amazed/delighted that someone actually wanted it and was prepared to pay the cost of hiring a van to take it away.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:33 AM
Friend

first of all I must admit to owning a devere 504 varicon with all the condensers,its a bench type it is quite big and heavy,I also own a lpl 7700 pro,with condenser and colour heads,its a lot smaller and lighter than the devere,will take 35mm up to 67 and I doubt if you could tell the difference,print wise between them. I think the amateur and semi pro enlargers are worth more to us amateurs and semi professionals.
lets face it if somebody knocked on your door with a free floor standing devere I would think most of us would have to decline the offer,where would we put it.
the deveres were built for factory type environment built to be used constantly and to be very accurate with lots of adjustment.
I think a lot of us like them in the same way we like film cameras ,the engineering and the feel of how things used to be made .
trouble is if i won the lottery my home would end up like a ebay warehouse
Old 16th June 2011, 08:15 PM
Friend

Me too Leon sold my last MG 500 head in 1994 and went back to Ilford MG filters, they suit me better and they are also the best way to teach others how to print.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 18th June 2011, 12:37 PM
Friend

I'm going to sit and cry now. I would have liked one of those. I'm in London, and we actually had a car hired on the 15th (tho we were going off to Southwold for a break).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies