Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2009, 06:08 PM
Friend

Default Pinhole Camera Viewing Frame

I know by now there are some clever people out there in FADU Land so can anybody assist with my query?

After buying Steve Gosling's book "Lenseless Landscapes" (visit his website here) I intend to get more use from my Zero 2000 Pinhole camera. To make life a little easier I want to make a frame viewer from a piece of stiff card. Am I correct in making the following assumptions

1) Frame size should equal the film size ie 6 X 6?

2) Distance to hold away from my eye should equal the approx film-pinhole distance?

Accoring to the manufacturers, Zero Imaging (see link here) the approx angle of view is that given by a 35mm 25mm lens.

I sit back with anticipation for the FADU Sages to work their magic
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:40 PM
Friend

If frame size equals film size, then frame would need to be exactly same distance in front of pinhole as film is behind pinhole to obscure it exactly. So assuming your eye is the pinhole, then the frame would need to be one focal length in front of your eye. Then each time you double the distance from your eye, you increase the AREA of the frame by 4 times. So if you want it at arms length, then work out the number of focal distances that is from your eye and for each focal length over one, its 2 x times length of each side. So if arms length is 5 focal lengths and frame is 6x6, then each side of the frame would be 6 x 2^5 = 192 and since the other side is 6 as well, you would need a frame size of 192cm x 192cm which would be fairly impracticle. But if you have something to arrange the frame and your eye at one or two focal lengths, then you should be good to go because at one focal length frame would be 6x6cm and at two focal lengths it would be 12cm x 12cm

I think thats about right.
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:02 PM
Friend

I know that Steve uses a 6x6 slide mount basically pressed to his eye!
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:18 PM
Friend

I find it all very trial and error but you soon get used to knowing how to frame, but hey that's all the fun of it!

I use the flexible plastic viewfinder that came with my camera which is basically a 6x6 mask, a piece of card or slide mount will do equally as well.

http://www.zeroimage.com/web2003/Ent...ryFrameset.htm

And like Steve I hold it virtually pressed to my eye looking all around to see what is going to be included. It also helps to hold the frame against the back of the camera with the aperture just above the top of the camera. Oh and one of those acrylic bubble levels is extremely useful, saves cropping the image to much if you have wonky horizon.

Look forward to seeing some of your images Andrew.

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:32 PM
Friend

I have a Zero 2000 as well, and I find the angle of view of the camera more or less corresponds with the limit of my peripheral vision - in other words, looking straight ahead in the direction the camera's pointing, whatever I can just see at the edge of my eye is roughly what the camera sees. Try it, I'd be interested to know if it works for anyone else.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 24th January 2009, 08:46 AM
Friend

Thanks everybody for affirming my faith in FADU.
Up to now it's been trial and error but I think I'll use one of the plastic masks that came with my Kaiser Enlarger as a frame and hold it pretty much up to my eye, near the top of the camera.
I will post some results....... eventually
Old 24th January 2009, 10:10 AM
Friend

I should have guessed there'd be some numerical way of working it out, but you know, that numbers thing !!

I put my 4x5 pinhole on a tripod, shot a sheet, dev'd it, and then went back to the tripod and screwed on a viewfinder accordingly.
Old 26th January 2009, 05:13 PM
Friend

Default use of protractor to check angle of view

I use a cheap protractor from WHSmiths and with a permant pen mark the area outside the angle of view. I used the pinhole formula to calculate angle of view as Zone Zero was slightly out. I place it on top of the camera and with line of sight check what is in and what is out
Old 26th January 2009, 05:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I use a cheap protractor from WHSmiths and with a permant pen mark the area outside the angle of view. I used the pinhole formula to calculate angle of view as Zone Zero was slightly out. I place it on top of the camera and with line of sight check what is in and what is out
Top tip John! many thanks for posting

Arena Photographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies