Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th January 2012, 11:11 AM
Friend

Default Another recruit from Middlesbrough...

Hi there folks I was going to go fishing today but due to a bad weather report I thought I'd join you lot instead (the sun is currently blazing in through my window as I type - typical!).

I have been interested in photography for donkeys years but let the habit slip when things went digital. I finally sold all my Nikons and got a point 'n' squirt digital for "snaps". My wife's son then presented me with a Zenit 12XP two years ago. I got back to things with this lovely old girl with a real enthusiasm. More M42 stuff has followed. I then started to use Ilford XP2 and the Kodak equivalent (preferred the Ilford). This has led to me setting up a very small and basic darkroom. This is something I always wanted to do but I never had the space/spare funds/time etc. I have now processed my first two films and produced my first few prints - hurray!!

First question (sorry). Can I print to B&W paper from my Kodak BW400CN neg's?
Old 19th January 2012, 11:19 AM
Friend

Welcome Dave, now you must admit (at least here) that this is much better than fishing.

I've not used that Kodak film, but I am sure someone here will chime in with advice.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:33 AM
Friend

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 19th January 2012, 12:53 PM
Friend

Welcome to Fadu,Dave, and in anwser to your first question, I have printed Kodak BW 400n negatives onto Multigrade paper a coup;e of years ago,
Richard
Old 19th January 2012, 01:18 PM
Friend

Administrator Dave. Posting on FADU better than fishing? You have obviously never tried fishing! Get your wellies on and give it a try!

DaveUral. Take no notice of Dave he's a southerner... Or a midlander anyway! But he does know more about photography than he does about fishing.
Welcome to the forum. Where do you fish? The Tees?

Alan
Old 19th January 2012, 02:23 PM
Friend

Thanks for the support Alan. Yep, the Tees mostly, a very underrated river. I fish for both trout and coarse fish. I was (and should have been - still sunny - doh!) going after the chub today. Still, my smelly blue cheese-paste will be even more rancid for next week after a stay in the fridge...Yummy.

Richard, thanks for that too. I'll give them a try then...Ive started my printing with multigrade because I thought it seemed less of a faff on so I have some of that to play with.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:48 PM
Friend

Welcome Dave.
From another Dave ( up the road in Geordieland)
Old 19th January 2012, 06:49 PM
Friend

Welcome Dave

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 19th January 2012, 07:43 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome Dave. It is said that Kodak B&W C41 was designed to be printed onto RA4(colour paper) whereas Ilford B&W C41 was designed for genuine B&W paper.

Most minilabs print B&W negs on RA4 these days so if you had to get a lab to process your Kodak C41 negs then maybe they will look better or at least as good as Ilford C41 negs would on RA4

As you do your own printing I think that you'll find Ilford XP2+ the better bet. Roger Hicks' wife uses XP2+ exclusively for B&W printing on genuine B&W paper and very good they look as well

I cannot recall any professional analogue photographer who uses Kodak B&W C41 for printing.

I hope this helps

Mike
Old 19th January 2012, 09:06 PM
Friend

Thanks for that Mike. I went ahead and printed a couple of the Kodak negs this evening. One was a low key affair shot in the fog and looks great the other a more usual shot and looks to be low contrast and 'muddy'. But...it may just be my lack of skill doing that. So far the jury seems to be still out!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies