Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd February 2013, 02:36 PM
Friend

Default MY local Asda ain't so bad at C41 processing... ;-)

Hi Nick,

As others have said, don't be put off so early in the game!

Looking through all of the pictures and without seeing the negatives, I would definitely put it down to the film being old for the majority of it. Slight underexposure and processing might add a little more.

As for the orange streaks, yes do as suggested. It could well be a bit of lens flare as the two (?)pictures that it's in are shot into the light (without a lens hood?) The way to confirm this, is as suggested, to see if the stripe goes right from the bottom to the top of the negative INCLUDING the sprocket holes. If it does, light is leaking into the camera a little = but then again it doesn't appear on any of the other negs? If it is just on the picture frame bit, it's more than likely to be lens flare, although I have seen similar when a film has been creased (in processing?) as well.

Shame about the dust, as there does seem to be a lot of it(!) on some of the frames. Personally I would write a polite letter to Asda's mentioning this and to enquire if they do change their chemicals regularly, as when I have used my local Asda for the very occasional bit of C41 processing, they have been brilliant! So don't be totally put off by them just yet.

All the best with your future picture taking,

Terry S
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Hi Nick, Welcome to the forum. Disaster is perhaps a strong word, disappointing maybe. Would try a new film and a different company to process it, if you don't mind using a postal system, maybe try AG one of the site sponsors. I have not used them, but they have rec'd some fab reviews. Then compare the results, did your camera have new batteries in ? If not would suggest a new set of batteries as well.

Keep the faith, we have all had films that are not what we would have hoped for.

Ian
Ian, I will try AG when I'm sure the cameras ok, the batteries are not new but are showing full on the camera so I guess they are ok, yesterday I did some exposure comparisons with my Sony A77 and the the shutter speeds are very similar at f2.8 and ISO200, same lens so from that I assume the Minolta is meting ok.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard James View Post
Hi Nick,
Welcome to FADU. I would not get to worried about the film disaster,that is the way we learn.
Do the yellow bars in the middle of the pictures go into the film edges. If so, it may be an indication that light has entered the camera, so look at the seals. It certainly sounds as if the processing is at fault though as they are underexposed (unlikely I would have thought caused by the camera as the films are DX coded, which is read by the camera so would set the ISO), also the fact of dirt on the CD also indicates lack of care in the processing plant. One final point, how are the actual negatives, if they are correctly exposed, it sounds like bad printing, in which case I would take them back as ask them to be reprinted. At the end of the day though, I would not take them there again, but as someone else mentioned, try one of the sponsors.
Any way good luck with this and your film photography in the future.
Richard I tried looking at the negatives but I'm having trouble seeing the yellow line ? The camera did read the DX code as was showing in the Minolta memory as ISO200, it saves 7 rolls of film setting all exposures in its memory which you can read from the LCD on the back.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Hi Nick,

As others have said, don't be put off so early in the game!

Looking through all of the pictures and without seeing the negatives, I would definitely put it down to the film being old for the majority of it. Slight underexposure and processing might add a little more.

As for the orange streaks, yes do as suggested. It could well be a bit of lens flare as the two (?)pictures that it's in are shot into the light (without a lens hood?) The way to confirm this, is as suggested, to see if the stripe goes right from the bottom to the top of the negative INCLUDING the sprocket holes. If it does, light is leaking into the camera a little = but then again it doesn't appear on any of the other negs? If it is just on the picture frame bit, it's more than likely to be lens flare, although I have seen similar when a film has been creased (in processing?) as well.

Shame about the dust, as there does seem to be a lot of it(!) on some of the frames. Personally I would write a polite letter to Asda's mentioning this and to enquire if they do change their chemicals regularly, as when I have used my local Asda for the very occasional bit of C41 processing, they have been brilliant! So don't be totally put off by them just yet.

All the best with your future picture taking,

Terry S
Terry, I'm fairly sure I used the lens hood it's a Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 HS lens which has quite a large lens hood, maybe my local asda hadn't processed any film for a while?

I've nearly finished a new Fuji C200 roll so ill try and get out tomorrow if the weathers fine to finish the roll, go and shoot some duck or swans?

Im hoping issue was bad film so ill find out for sure tomorrow, I don't give up easy Thanks to all.

Last edited by NickR; 3rd February 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:36 AM
Friend

Welcome Nick

If there is a lot of dust on your new film I would suggest that the inside of the camera need a good clean even if it looks spotless. I have had this with my F5 and now clean it out even though it looks clean I no long get all those dust marks on the negatives.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th February 2013, 11:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
I don't give up easy
Now that's what we really like to hear Nick!

Yes, I second giving the inside of the camera a good clean with a rocket puffer or the like. It's amazing how much small bits of dust can actually be inside just about anything that we can't see with the naked eye!

Terry S
Old 4th February 2013, 02:26 PM
Friend

Just got back from shooting swans and ducks and processing, I am well pleased, 95% keepers from 1 Fuji C200 24exp and 1 Fuji C200 Superia 36exp. Looks like I can't use my Digital Sony 16-50mm F/2.8 SSM Lens, the images look like I've used a telescope, black circle round the subject. Cost me £20 so now will have to be careful going mad hitting the shutter release
Minolta 80-200mm Fuji C200

Minolta 80-200mm Fuji C200

Minolta 80-200mm Fuji C200 Superia

Last edited by NickR; 4th February 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:56 PM
Friend

Welcome

I recognise a few of those locations... were the swan shots taken in hitchin?

I'm from Letchworth also..

Matt
Old 4th February 2013, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onform View Post
Welcome

I recognise a few of those locations... were the swan shots taken in hitchin?

I'm from Letchworth also..

Matt
I took the swan shots at Stanborough Lakes, thought I would go there finish the roll of then get the processing done at Snappy Snaps in Welwyn Garden City. Do you process yourself or who do you use ?
Old 4th February 2013, 07:49 PM
Friend

If and when I shoot 35mm I tend to just use the shop on the Broadway. Dev and scan to disk..
Old 4th February 2013, 08:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onform View Post
If and when I shoot 35mm I tend to just use the shop on the Broadway. Dev and scan to disk..
I don't think they are anymore, think they closed a couple of years ago?
Old 4th February 2013, 09:02 PM
Friend

They only closed the camera side of it, they still develop and print etc.. I used them on Saturday to Develop some Poundland agfa vista.

See here for 1 of my favs from the roll. £1film

Matt
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies