Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th October 2020, 05:04 PM
Friend

Default X-ray film

if anybody is interested there is some x-ray film for sale on ebay ,i just bought some i have bought from them before ,this type of film is very contrasty ,but cheap ,they have a couple left .

FUJIFILM INDUSTRIAL X-RAY FILM IX80 17.8 X 43.2cm (7x17”) Printing Paper 08/20 .
kamad_4166 .. sorry i cannot do links
Old 9th October 2020, 07:53 PM
Friend

When I was a schoolboy in the sixties, the local library had a book on photographic experiments for amateurs.
One chapter told you how to connect up an induction coil to a Roentgen x ray tube, and make your own x ray photographs.
Good job I never found one for sale.
There were no safety instructions at all. I doubt that I would still be here if I had got my hands on one.
The other dodgy x ray source as a youngster was the foot x ray machine in the local shoe shop. You pushed your foot through a cat flap having a green baize curtain across it. The assistant switched it on and you and your parent could look at how your foot fitted into the new shoes you were trying on, bones visible and all!

As W.C Fields said " I will be lucky to get out of this world alive."

Cheers.
Old 10th October 2020, 12:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
if anybody is interested there is some x-ray film for sale on ebay ,i just bought some i have bought from them before ,this type of film is very contrasty ,but cheap ,they have a couple left .

FUJIFILM INDUSTRIAL X-RAY FILM IX80 17.8 X 43.2cm (7x17”) Printing Paper 08/20 .
kamad_4166 .. sorry i cannot do links
Now this is bizarre.

I just did an advance search on ebay uk for the seller that you state Paul, and the only seller that came up with that name sells 32 items of women's clothes...?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kamad_4166/...1&_ipg=&_from=

Then I did a straight search for the item details you give i.e. FUJIFILM INDUSTRIAL X-RAY FILM IX80 17.8 X 43.2cm and then the same seller came up with the above women's clothes but now with an eclectic list of 227 items. He is also the only seller selling this particular size of x-ray film on ebay anywhere...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUJIFILM-...oAAOSwJGRfOpmj

Paul, as for doing links, it is easy. There are some icons that you can use on this site, but I have found that you can just copy and paste the web address and details at the top of the ebay page, which will look like the text directly above. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy, as some say.

Oh and there is some more close to date or slightly outdated x-ray film being UK sold, with starting prices of £0.99 at the moment. Just search x-ray film in the UK only.

Terry S
Old 11th October 2020, 05:07 PM
Friend

Its great stuff to muck about with and get alternative images with ,and its cheap as chips ,when I buy 100 sheets and get 400 5x4 shots out of a £20 to £30 pounds a box its a no brainer for me .I have been trying to find the right developer that gives me what I want ,and I might have that now . hopefully I will be able to get out soon and use up some more X-ray film ....
Old 14th October 2020, 12:37 PM
Friend

I think I have found the right asa dilution of dev and development time ,for the X-ray blue sensitive film ,Now I have gone and got some green sensitive X-ray film ,Here we go again , Its keeping my brain going while I am stuck in OH HAPPY DAYS
Old 14th October 2020, 01:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I think I have found the right asa dilution of dev and development time ,for the X-ray blue sensitive film ,Now I have gone and got some green sensitive X-ray film...
I have a box of x-ray film (green sensitive - I think!) that I haven't got around to trying out yet, so I'd be interested to hear your dilutions and times and what developer etc. that you have been using Paul, even if it is with a different colour sensitive film.

There are so many suggestions on the web about it all, I think that anything anyone suggests is always going to be a starting point.

I would also be interested to see some work that you've taken with the film just now, but also as a comparison when you have tried the two types.

Terry S
Old 14th October 2020, 06:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I would also be interested to see some work that you've taken with the film just now, but also as a comparison when you have tried the two types.

Terry S
Terry I was about to say the same until I got to the above section It would be interesting to see what he difference is in the renditions

Mike
Old 18th October 2020, 12:58 AM
Friend

I have just got out of my darkroom 1.30 am and I have made some prints from the x-ray film , they have came out ,not bad . now I have the hang of it I will need something better to shoot with it ,as I have more than one thousand five hundred plus 4x5 negs to shoot ,should keep me busy for a while .
Old 18th October 2020, 08:28 PM
Friend

I have posted some prints on my albums a couple of 10x8 and some contact prints . The film is fujifilm industrial x-ray film 100 nif ,7x17inch x 100 , shot at 25 asa , developed in fotospeed FD10 1x20 for 8mins agitation every 30seconds ,In dip and dunk tanks under red light ,each tank holds 2000ml of chemical ,and I can dev 12 5x4 films at one go the two 10x8 prints were printed on to fotospeed RCVC glossy paper ,and the contacts were printed on to Ilford multigrade IV RC express PF paper ,its 10.2 x 152m and i have a roll and a half left so there is plenty to keep me going for a while ..I took some more pictures of my wife with flash ,that I think did not come out to bad ,but If I sheared them with you ,I would disappear and never be seen again .They are a bit boring but at lest I have worked out the asa dev time and dilution .. The only problem I had was the horses by the time I had focused on them put the film in and taken a light reading the little buggers would move ,and at 25ASA ,I would have had more luck photographing a snail .......................... Now the dental x-ray film I bought I have had no luck with It,it seems to have a metallic coating that wont let in light and will only come of in the fixer bath ,so next time i want to buy any green x-ray film I will just buy ordinary type ,so this film will go away until I can find a way to use it .I have found that the film can scratch / mark very easily when wet but when dry its as hard as nails .Please have a look at my albums and see what you think ,there are other prints there but the ones to see I have put the words x-ray film next to the comments .......
Old 16th January 2021, 08:34 PM
Friend

been mucking about with some more X-ray film again ,Santa got me a cut film back for my Hasselblad , and I have been shooting the dogs ,I have made some contact prints , and hoping when I feel a bit better I will make some prints ,my scanner is not very good ,so they are the best I could do.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan15&20 (2) prince snowy 120.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	3976

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan15&21 (2) prince 129 .jpg
Views:	150
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	3977
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies