Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th June 2009, 05:35 AM
Friend

Default Life without a darkroom...

Greetings all!

Now that I know for certain that it's best for my physical well being to avoid any darkroom vapors, I've been pondering where to go from here. Aside from feeling quite jealous of those that are still able to create in this way, I'm learning to appreciate the fact that I can still develop my own film thanks to many helpful suggestions here that led me to XTOL.

One question is, if I would be able to post authentic negative scans here that I know from personal experience I can produce in the darkroom? These images would be shared with the album name "Negative Scans" or better yet, "Negative Scans - only because I have to!"

I have found this forum and group of people extremely helpful and inspiring and would like to continue sharing and learning without feeling sad about my unused safelight!

cheers & thanks

Bruce
Old 19th June 2009, 06:36 AM
Friend

I’m pleased to read that you have found at least a partial solution to your health problem. The answer to your question regarding the posting of negative scans must be yes; but please mark them as such.

May I reiterate that this forum is here for the discussion of the ups and downs of film and darkroom use. That’s not to say we are anti-digital, some of our friends here seem content to live part of their lives in the parallel universe of the digital dabblers. That said we don’t want that aspect discussed here. What people get up to behind closed doors in the privacy of their own homes is solely a matter for their own conscience.
Old 19th June 2009, 07:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkclassical View Post
Greetings all!

...... One question is, if I would be able to post authentic negative scans here that I know from personal experience I can produce in the darkroom? These images would be shared with the album name "Negative Scans" or better yet, "Negative Scans - only because I have to!" ......

Bruce
Bruce,

Sorry to hear you can no longer visit your darkroom, but good to hear you are carrying on doing your own films in XTOL. I for one have no problems commenting on scanned negs as long as I know that.

All the best,

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th June 2009, 09:43 AM
Friend

I am sorry to here that you cannot use your darkroom anymore, it seems very unfair. I am glad you found that you can use the xtol to develop your films (silver lining sorry could not resist that one) . All the images in the galleries are digitized in one form or another, you are just cutting out the printing stage and scanning from the neg, I don't personally have a problem with it. If it lets you carry on enjoying your photography that can only be a good thing.

Good Luck with it.

Neil
Old 19th June 2009, 01:11 PM
Friend

Great, thank you gentlemen! Negative scans will be marked as such; and Neil, your silver lining comment really did make me laugh

Bruce
Old 19th June 2009, 01:29 PM
Friend

Sorry that you can't get into your darkroom, but I hve no problem with negative scans, as long as I kinow what they are, glad that you can still enjoy your photography, good luck, Richard
Old 19th June 2009, 07:39 PM
Friend

It might seem extreme and maybe your medical advisers have already said that they won't work but have you asked about a mask with filters built-in. People working with certain dangerous materials must use such masks.

Of course that leaves the cost of obtaining such masks and maybe replacing the filters and I have to say that I wouldn't want to wear one but presumably those that have to wear them for their work become used to them.

Just a thought. It is a great shame if you can't indulge in any printing at all.

Mike
Old 19th June 2009, 09:57 PM
Friend

Yes, I tried the mask (full and half) with an assortment of filters - organic vapour, acid gas, multi etc. with no luck. I found that even though it was ok for the first 15 minutes or so, my chest would start to get tight and then I would lose the focus and pleasure of creating images; my mind would just start to worry about how sore my throat would be for the following few days. My best darkroom prints happened when time disappeared and I was truly in the moment bathed in safelight with no concern in the world.

In any case, I'm hoping for a return to the darkroom some day with amazing ventilation and better awareness of chemistry.

Bruce
Old 21st June 2009, 11:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkclassical View Post
In any case, I'm hoping for a return to the darkroom some day with amazing ventilation and better awareness of chemistry.
Is the problem just braething in the fumes? If so, then you are obviously thinking along the right lines with amazing ventilation. Something like a fume cupboard as used in chemistry labs would be ideal.

http://www.premierlabs.co.uk/pages/p...products.shtml

Good quality extraction over the trays would work too along with a system to constantly put fresh air into the room.

Steve.
Old 21st June 2009, 08:35 PM
Friend

Bruce, It maybe a shoot in the dark but fotospeed produce odourless stopbath and fixer plus a hydroquinone free paper developer which might help,Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies