Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th December 2018, 08:24 PM
Friend

Default Need help focusing my 50mm enlarger lens

Full disclosure, I've posted this on the Large Format Photography Forum as well.

While I've been predominately large format (still learning though), I just started to try some older Kiev 35mm film cameras. Unfortunately I can't get my enlarger to focus the 50mm enlarger lens I purchased so I was hoping someone could help me out.

My enlarger is an Omega Universal Pro-Lab 4x5 with the DV Condenser Lamphouse (single movable condenser lens) with a three lens turret. The turret is the thinner later version 404-867 that apparently was intended to solve some 50mm focusing problems according to their literature and the lens in question is an EL-Omegar 50mm f3.5. I believe I have the correct lens plate for the turret according to KHB Photografix (part number 421-056). My other lenses focus fine but nothing seems to work with this one.

I see there's been other threads on similar issues in the past. I've gone thought the ones I could find but unfortunately I must be missing something. Anyway, hopefully somebody can help.

Thanks
Dave
Old 7th December 2018, 09:32 PM
Friend

I have an idea that the bellows (or whatever focussing extension your enlarger has) is not getting the lens close enough to the negative to focus properly. I have both an LPL7700 and an Opemus 6x6 standard enlargers which are designed for formats bigger than 35mm, but bopth have a lens mount which is reversible on both, so allowing a 50mm lens just that little bit extra to get closer to the negative.

I don't know if Opemus enlargers are still available but it may be worth asking about to see if someone has a 50mm adapter which will have a deeper mount than yours.

Try Second Hand Darkroom Supplies in Oxfordshire, they have masses of used spares for most enlargers.

Last edited by John King; 7th December 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 8th December 2018, 01:33 AM
Friend

Thanks John

I'm a bit far from Oxfordshire but getting a different enlarger would be an option.

I am wondering if this one with a turret is physically unable to get close enough to utilize a 50mm lens but you'd think that would be in the literature somewhere. So far I haven't seen anything.

I'm not quite ready to give up yet but we'll see how it goes. Some have suggested a better lens for starters and I might explore that. I didn't spend much on this one - maybe it's a dud.

Regards
Dave
Old 8th December 2018, 04:09 AM
Friend

So problem resolved. You had the right idea John. With this enlarger and lens configuration you really have to have the bellows squashed down.

There's a rack and pinion with a lever lock behind the bellows. I thought I'd compressed the bellows to the max but after checking again (thanks to Fred L on the Large Format Photography Forum for that) turns out there was another quarter inch or so. I'm guessing I forgot to lock it down earlier.

Works fine now although I'm not comfortable squashing the bellows so much. I think I'll take the advice of some other posters and look for a slightly longer lens. I don't plan on printing big so it should be okay. Also, It was a low budget experiment so I'm not out much.

Anyway, thanks for your input

Regards
Dave
Old 8th December 2018, 07:36 AM
Friend

Default Distance

I had not checked the place where you are living and yes, it is a bit more than a day trip for you to visit. At least you seem to be up and running now. For future reference I think they also export should you need anything else.
Old 8th December 2018, 08:37 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Dave, I assume you are aware of KHB Photografix who seem to be the go to people for enlargers in Canada. They have a good section on Omega enlargers here: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.htm

They have a lot of information about the history of the Omega range and a full list of spares in case you need anything in the future.
Glad your problem is solved and good luck with your printing.

ill
Old 8th December 2018, 08:42 AM
Friend

Thanks Bill. I did use them quite a bit to figure out the right turret adapters for the lenses - not every lens will work. Omega didn't make it easy that's for sure. Lots of model mix and match at the 4x5 level.

Regards
Dave
Old 8th December 2018, 09:20 AM
Friend

Dave, I've always found it less practical printing 35mm in particular with a Large Format enlarger, so I'd endorse John King's comments about a second enlarger. I'd suggest something that does MF 6x6 or 6x7 as well.

You've got "The Camera Store" in Alberta which has to be one of the best I've visited in many years, I wish I had a shop like that near me

Ian
Old 8th December 2018, 07:01 PM
Friend

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that Ian, thanks.

I do have an old medium format enlarger a friend gave me a long time ago. I'll have to dig it out when I get a chance. It's not high end but it'll be interesting to compare the results of the two. I'm kind of just kicking the tires with 35mm - more of a curiosity at the moment. If it turns into a real interest, I'll look at stepping it up.

I have ordered a fair amount from the Camera Store in Calgary but haven't ever been there. Friendly staff to deal with and good service but roughly 750 km south of me so I don't get there very often. Funny that you've made it there though and I haven't. Hope you had a good visit.

Regards
Dave
Old 8th December 2018, 07:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hodson View Post

I have ordered a fair amount from the Camera Store in Calgary but haven't ever been there. Friendly staff to deal with and good service but roughly 750 km south of me so I don't get there very often.
Regards
Dave
Dave I cannot speak for the rest of FADU but I for one have great difficulty appreciating the sheer size of Canada, living as I do on a small island. Even in 2 days(1 day there and I day back), that is one heck of a drive. I'd need a weeks rest to get over such a drive

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies