Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th June 2020, 10:07 AM
Friend

The Sinar Zoom 2 is expensive but it does hold the film flat and can be changed on the fly from 645, 6 x 6, 6 x 7, 6 x 9 all the way up to 6 x 12. It also fits under the focussing screen fairly easily. I did decide to change the focussing screen on the Chamonix to a Linhof one as the engraved markings on the Linhof were actually visible as they were filled with black, whereas the original Chamonix did have the markings but they were just etched or moulded and thus almost invisible.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:15 AM
Friend

I have a gorgeous peco junior in 2x3. Was thinking of selling it but it's just so gorgeously engineered I'm just never sure. Check them out as they are a lovely little monorail.
Old 9th June 2020, 11:27 AM
Friend

Would another option be the Hasselblad Flex body? I will admit I know very little about the camera but it does appear to have a range of movements etc and it is 120.
Old 9th June 2020, 02:08 PM
Friend

Jo, if it's just DOF control that you're looking for, there's also the Rolleiflex SL66 with it's tilting lens. Heavy, and pricey, but image quality would be excellent, as would reliability.

Lots of options to mull over....
Old 10th June 2020, 01:01 PM
Friend

The most important consideration when considering a LF camera is - what sort of photographs do I want to take with it.

There is no one LF camera that will do everything but there are plenty of all-rounders that do quite a few things fairly will.

The longer your list of wants the heavier is will be and the more money you will need to get it.

If you are planning on hauling it up to the top of the Cairngorms - weight and stability are the main considerations.

Mostly still life - then weight isn't an issue and there are plenty of monorails around for very modest amounts of cash.

Martin
Old 11th June 2020, 05:18 AM
Friend

There's a Hansa 6x9 Field Camera that's just come up for sale twenty minutes ago from a very reputable seller on Photrio. I won't post a direct link until/unless someone let's me know that to do so won't be breaking any forum rules.
I'm in no way affiliated with the seller.

That being said, I bought a 4x5 Monorail well before I had an enlarger to cope with that size of negative. Those contact prints are some of my favourites. I had the mentality of "Build it and they will cone" which seems to have worked out rather well!
Originally I was developing my negatives in trays but I was very happy with the advent of the Stearman Press SP-445 tank.

Even being a heavy, all metal monorail, I've lugged it down to the beach and interstate and set it up on an aluminium tripod with a ball head; a set up I've seen seriously derided by some on other forums.
Possibly I'm simply not critical enough.
Old 11th June 2020, 07:15 AM
Friend

There's a similar Hansa 6x9 field camera for sale on another forum for under half that price $396 that's including postage. Ok the cheaper one has no lens but in as new condition, the lens on the other is incoated and pre-1930's as it's in a Dial-set Compur shutter so not worth much.

Ian
Old 11th June 2020, 02:05 PM
Friend

So this might be a little wonky but it's on my to-do list and hopefully I can get at it this summer - make a 120 film holder for my 4x5 camera that takes a 120 cut film strip.

Theoretically it should be around 6x12 but will likely depend on how much room the masking/support frame is going to take up.

I started using J Lane glass negatives and couldn't find a plate holder so designed one that uses the dark slides from regular 4x5 holders and can be printed on my 3D printer. Pretty simplistic but seems to work ok and the glass negatives look fine. My pictures suck but that's another story.

In any event, I like the look of the old panorama shots so I thought this might work with my setup. I think the challenge might be holding the film flat but we'll see. The full project is to create a portfolio of contact printed salt print panoramas of local sites that I can bind into a book.

I'm assuming the OP has chosen 4x5 because they want movements and as others have pointed out, there are other options. One thing to think about though is that, while yes the 4x5 idea is going to be a bit larger (but not orders of magnitude though) it does give some potential future flexibility.

Regards
Dave

Last edited by Dave Hodson; 11th June 2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12th June 2020, 09:53 AM
Friend

I've seen a rather ingenious 120 roll film holder made from an old Zeiss Ikon folder which I bookmarked for future reference. It only managed 6cm x 9cm (obviously) but might help you with film flatness ideas?
Old 12th June 2020, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
There's a Hansa 6x9 Field Camera that's just come up for sale twenty minutes ago from a very reputable seller on Photrio. I won't post a direct link until/unless someone let's me know that to do so won't be breaking any forum rules.
I'm in no way affiliated with the seller. ...
Post away: links to legitimate help or relevant items for sale elsewhere are welcome. People know enough by now to be wary when buying online from unfamiliar sources.

- tho' I personally don't like seeing ebay links as, if people are interested in a particular item they will probably already be aware of it on ebay and a link just encourages people who are not really that interested to bid the price up which is unfair to the people who are currently bidding or preparing to bid on it. But that's just personal opinion, there is no forum rule against it.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies