Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th February 2014, 08:51 PM
Friend

Default Direct Positive Ilford FB - Limited Stock Announcement

This one doesn't seem to fit in anywhere but in case some of our friends who use this stuff do not visit APUG, Simon Galley has announced that due to the emulsion being produced by Ilford of Switzerland which in now in liquidation, Harman have been unable so far to find another source.

Harman will keep looking but stocks of the above paper are now limited.

Get it while you can is the message.

Mike
Old 4th February 2014, 09:33 PM
Administrator

I thought Ilford in Switzerland was just inkjet paper - I didn't realise they still had the expertise and equipment to make photographic emulsions.

Don't they own the Ilford brand name? Perhaps Harman can get ownership of the Ilford name back! There must be some irony in the fact that Harman got the "old fashioned" stuff and the Swiss got the "modern" stuff and it's Harman that is still around a few years later

Cheers, Bob.
Old 4th February 2014, 10:28 PM
Friend

they made ilforchrome until that folded. It's seems Harman can't make its own BW positive paper.
Old 5th February 2014, 12:41 AM
Friend

It is worth reading Mr Galley's thread but while Argentum is right I got the impression that this stuff, being new and valued especially by the U.S. market, will make Harman to leave no stone unturned to resume production.

On the other hand if I were Harman and knew that there was no way I could produce it on site I'd make a big deal of appearing to be willing to "fight to the end" to keep it going.

The U.S. loves someone like Harman who is its friend and tries its best. The last thing I'd want to say to my friends is that it isn't economically viable to make it.

Mike
Old 5th February 2014, 07:28 AM
Friend

Wasn't there some suggestion when this paper came out that it was actually an existing product that used to be sold under a different name just rebranded? I can't remember who.
Old 5th February 2014, 09:12 AM
Friend

Back around 1972 I went to a lecture by a research student from Birmingham School of Photography. He showed us superb FP4 reversal transparencies and then equally stunning reversal prints made from the same transparencies printed on Ilfobrom paper.

Reversal processing of film or papers isn't difficult however it needs some care and skill to get the best results. B&W photo-boths work on the reversal principle.

Ian
Old 5th February 2014, 04:11 PM
Friend

I think one of the reasons for this paper being brought to market was as a conpanion product for the Ilford pin hole cameras.

For students, the ability to just put paper into a pinhole camera makes life easier than using film and paper.

Ilford say they are looking at making their own emulsion instead of buying it in, but that may or may not happen and will take time.

They describe it as only stocks on hand with no new production for the medium term. Time will tell.
Old 6th February 2014, 11:51 AM
Friend

According to Nova, harman haven't got any left, so what's out there is all there is. I bought from their site yesterday morning, but today they phoned to say they didn't in fact have any.
So if you want some and can find some, get it now...
Old 6th February 2014, 02:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Back around 1972 I went to a lecture by a research student from Birmingham School of Photography. He showed us superb FP4 reversal transparencies...
Ian
Yes, slides from reversal-processed film are exquisite, with glorious detail and long, long tonal range. There was once a film, Agfa Dia Direct, I believe processed in Wimbledon, that out-shone any paper print.
It's a long time since I last saw any B&W slides. Do any FADU members create images this way?
Old 6th February 2014, 07:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Yes, slides from reversal-processed film are exquisite, with glorious detail and long, long tonal range. There was once a film, Agfa Dia Direct, I believe processed in Wimbledon, that out-shone any paper print.
It's a long time since I last saw any B&W slides. Do any FADU members create images this way?
I've done quite a bit of B&W reversal processing and carried out some commercial research for a London based lab about 4 or 5 years ago, that project is on hold but not abandoned.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies