Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2020, 09:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Some of the crumpler bags are a little less obviously a camera bag.

https://www.crumpler.eu/collections/camera-all?

That’s true although they do tend to make you look like you’ve just recently mated with a peacock. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:55 AM
Friend

The "pro" when I was at college had an old battered, but strong, leather doctors "Gladstone" bag the handle of which had been replace by plaited rope that held two bodies, three lenses and a 120 SLR. It didn't say "steal me"
Inspired by the same I bought a cheap leathercloth long zip top tool bag and turned it into my camera bag. That held one SLR, three lenses, a flashgun and a tripod. In later years I used the bag as a toolbag.
I've used a flight bag as a camera case, a holdall (doubling as a laundry bag), a reps sample case, hairdresser's kit/make-up case. "Real" camera cases I use for storage at home.
Military pattern bodywarmers with many pockets are good for some shoots.
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
That’s true although they do tend to make you look like you’ve just recently mated with a peacock. ��

If you've got it, flaunt it!

Bruce, Ooh You Are Awful... But I Like You!

I can just see you with a crumpler hanging off your shoulder. You know you want one...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 23rd January 2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:17 AM
Friend

I use a rucksack. I cut up a foam sleep mat for padding (cheapest from online camping shop). If you have a piece of sleep mat left it can be used as an excellent sit mat.
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
If you have a piece of sleep mat left it can be used as an excellent sit mat.
Something that I do, after reading it many years ago, is to keep a large bin bag in with my camera gear. It crumples down really small, so takes up little room. Why? Well, you never know when you might want to sit down on a wet bench, or even lay on the floor to get a real lower view of something. The bag will keep you dry in either case.

But as Norm suggests, I too also carry a (pre-made, but cheap) bit of foam seating, to give me a bit of comfort to sit on, especially when out and about at this time of year, when seats can be cold and damp.

Terry S
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
If you've got it, flaunt it!

Bruce, Ooh You Are Awful... But I Like You!

I can just see you with a crumpler hanging off your shoulder. You know you want one...

Got a couple actually...🦚

Old 24th January 2020, 01:24 AM
Friend

I thought I will put my 5 cents worth in, I volunteer at St.Vincent de Paul, a opportunity shop and there are always heaps of bags, both camera and others that would suit your purpose, why buy a new one when a second hand one doesn't shout look expense camera gear and you will be helping a deserving charity shop with your purchase
Old 24th January 2020, 04:03 PM
Friend

Didn't Jane Bown use a carrier bag for her cameras?
https://www.barryforshawphotography....12/4/jane-bown
from that page....
"Her preferred camera was the Olympus OM1, which she used with a 50mm or 85mm lens and no lights or flash. She famously used to turn up to the shoot with her cameras in a plastic shopping bag!"

And from this page, https://theonlinephotographer.typepa...ng-method.html, "I think I've commented on this before when discussing camera bags, Jane famously used a plastic carrier bag for hers, but I had the privelege to work with her back in the late 80's. I was working as a camera assistant to a wonderful old school aristocratic photographer with a studio in London's Kensington. The studio had a huge arched, leaded, north facing window. Perfect for natural light B&W. It had originally been the studio of Wyndham Lewis. Jane was a friend of the owner and asked to borrow the studio to shoot a portrait for Country Life Magazine, I was asked to give her a hand.
Jane came in, carrier bag in hand, had a look round and asked for a chair to be placed by the window. When her subject arrived she was very quickly sat in the chair, Jane dug around in her carrier bag and fished out a well used OM1."

No, not for me, neither!
Old 24th January 2020, 08:02 PM
Friend

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I still haven't decided.
I liked looked the like of the Domke suggested by Brock. Unfortunately I was put off by a couple of fluetube reviews. Both mentioned tacky hands from the grease used to waterproof the bags. Fears of greasy marks all over their best shiny cameras.
I have a waxed Barbour jacket. I usually just use it for fishing, and would never sit in a car seat with it on for fear of greasing up the upholstery. After using it my finger nails are black underneath due to the excess grease used to proof it. So I can empathise with the reviewers.

Richard Gould and his Billingham Hadley has got me fired up.
The Hadley Small would be ample for my needs. Anymore space and I would just load up with stuff I could not do without but would probably never use.
I thought of a trout fishing bag, but they do not seem to have the weatherproof flap that completely covers the top, just a small flap that barely covers the bag .
Colour is a problem. The light Khaki with brown straps is a lovely looking bag, very much Michael Palin on his globe trotting adventures, the other alternative would be the sage, dark green. Less obvious.
What colour is your bag Richard?

Still looking but the Billingham is in the lead at the moment.
Old 25th January 2020, 08:05 AM
Friend

Hi Nat
Both of my Billingham's are the brown waterproof canvas, for no other reason than that was all I) could get over here, around 20 years ago, but both have aged well and do not look like ''camera bags''they kust look scruffy, which is fine for me, in fact the only time I had a camera grabbed I had left the small billingham with an expensive AF camera on the car seat of my long sold on classic car convertible, with the top down, and my non working Seagull TLR, ( it had packed up again that day) they grabbed the seagull, which was destined for the bin and left the tatty looking billingham alone I had left the camera and bag alone in the car when my Wife then a trauma nurse, and myself had someone collapse with a heart attack and while I phoned the ambulance she did cpr and some light fingered person granned yhe non working camera
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies