Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st May 2020, 08:45 AM
Friend

I am not saying we are alcoholics but I'm please developer has now't in it

Please do svend

Like it Mike

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Svend, the situation for we older Brits is that unlike the younger element in Britain now, we realise that these exotic cocktails belong to a hotter climate somewhere around the Rio Grande

We have pubs with thatched roofs and stuff called "bitter". The last pub that sold Coor's lite at about 2 degrees C got closed for inducing hypothermia in its younger customers We still play skittles. Tequila and things like poker belongs to Rosa's Cantina out in the West Texas town of El Paso where Feleena whirls.

Our '45s are records not big irons on hips worn by a ranger. Our rangers have Queen's Park in front of Ranger and play football on a Saturday

Mike
Mike, we're pretty far north of the Rio Grande here. I mean, ten days ago it snowed while I was on a photo hike, for Pete's sake! I'm pretty sure it didn't do that in El Paso on the same day. Still, every supermarket and corner store in Canada sells pre-made Margarita mix...very popular drink here. Come to think of it, Margaritas have a rather poor reputation just because of those mixes and the cheap Tequila people dump into them. But a well-made one with fresh juices and good Tequila is wonderful.

BTW, we play football here on weekends too. Ball is shaped slightly differently however.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:35 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Back from the comic slot at the end of the pier I have been browsing one of the few copies of Black and White Photography I kept. This one is from Christmas 2007 with a picture of John Lydon on the front. There is an interesting article in it involving a guy called Mike Heller and its about resin v fibre.

Is this you Mike by any chance?

Mike
Guilty as charged. I spent a good day down in Mike Crawford's very spacious (compared to mine) darkroom which resulted in the article in Black & White Photography just before the main rush away to the 'dark' side.

Actually, it led to subsequent correspondence about the liberation of Cologne at the end of WW2, in which he had a particular interest. My father was there at the time and took a photograph of a German tank out side the Cathedral. The tank's demise in the battle for the city (not near the Cathedral to where it was later moved) was filmed at the time. He also took photographs in the Cathedral: Lee Miller also must have been there at that time as she has some similar photographs in one of her books.

Mike
Old 21st May 2020, 11:55 AM
Friend

Mike, it was a good article about you and Mike Crawford. Readable and informative. These are precious skills that I am not sure we have retained as well as we should have.

I am going through the magazine again and you are right about it being on the cusp of a change. That was the very thing that struck me.

Some of the prices were surprising as well. If someone had asked me to estimate the average increase in analogue materials in the last 12/13 years I'd have put it a lot lower than it actually is

Yes no doubt my pension was lower but in comparison with it then, film and paper prices seemed to have risen appreciably.

Some retailer was selling Fuji Acros 120 at £1.75 per roll. This was one film price increase in present day values that really hit me between the eyes

Mike

Last edited by Mike O'Pray; 21st May 2020 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 21st May 2020, 03:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post

Actually, it led to subsequent correspondence about the liberation of Cologne at the end of WW2, in which he had a particular interest. My father was there at the time and took a photograph of a German tank out side the Cathedral. The tank's demise in the battle for the city (not near the Cathedral to where it was later moved) was filmed at the time. He also took photographs in the Cathedral: Lee Miller also must have been there at that time as she has some similar photographs in one of her books.

Mike
I know the centre part of Cologne quite well and have always been amazed considering the 1000 bomber raid on the city how little the Cathedral was damaged. When I was there first in 1967 there was a bit of damage on the main door which had been temporarily repaired with bricks has now been fully restored.

Between there and the Haupt Bahnhoff (Station) about 200 yards away there is an absolutely fantastic camera shop that has an enviable selection of film cameras and lenses for sale. That is where I bought my Nikon 20/35 AFD zoom for 390 Euros which at the time was about £320. I get the feeling that film has remained more prominent on the continent than over here.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I am not saying we are alcoholics but I'm please developer has now't in it

Please do svend

Like it Mike
Mitch - the weather was suitably warm (finally!) so I tried a couple of versions of the burnt orange Margarita this weekend. Delicious! Since you and I seem to be the only ones keen on these, rather than post the Rx here I will send you a PM. If anyone wants me to post it here just let me know. Happy to do that.
Old 25th May 2020, 02:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Mitch - the weather was suitably warm (finally!) so I tried a couple of versions of the burnt orange Margarita this weekend. Delicious! Since you and I seem to be the only ones keen on these, rather than post the Rx here I will send you a PM. If anyone wants me to post it here just let me know. Happy to do that.
Thanks svend.

Here is the question on every ones lips if you a Margarita while processing a film will it have a warm glow when you finished?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th May 2020, 03:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Thanks svend.

Here is the question on every ones lips if you a Margarita while processing a film will it have a warm glow when you finished?
Mitch, drink two of these and you will forget about agitating on cue...that should give your film a nice soft glow.
Old 25th May 2020, 07:35 PM
Friend

Svend, this forum has a serious educational role to play.

I strongly recommend posting the 'formula' in question.
Old 26th May 2020, 03:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Svend, this forum has a serious educational role to play.

I strongly recommend posting the 'formula' in question.
Perhaps this should go in the Chemical Formulae section then

I mixed this up this past weekend - very tasty! Rather than link back to the original base recipe for classic Margarita, here is the classic recipe with addition of burnt oranges.

Burnt Orange Margarita Recipe (anti-Covid tonic)

Per serving:
- Moisten rim of glass with a slice of lime and dunk into a little dish of sea salt to adhere salt to rim;
- Grill 2 slices orange until dark brown char marks appear (grill both sides);
- Put one of the slices in an empty cocktail shaker and muddle to release the juice;
- Add 1 oz. Tequila, 1.5 oz. freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice (50/50, or to taste), 1 oz. simple syrup* or Agave syrup, 1 tsp. Triple Sec or Cointreau;
- Shake and pour into glass with the remaining orange slice and two or three ice cubes.

You can vary the lemon-lime ratio and amount of simple syrup to taste.

*Simple syrup: 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar; stir and gently heat until just simmering and sugar is dissolved; let cool before using; store remainder in sealed jar in fridge.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Svend; 26th May 2020 at 03:31 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies