Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th October 2015, 06:20 AM
Friend

Question Schneider xenar 210mm f:6.1

Does anyone know the filter size of this lens?
I would like to know if will fit an MPP Mk VIII and still allow me to fold it away like it does with the 150mm f/4.5 Xenar.
Old 30th October 2015, 07:27 AM
Friend

Here I believe Keith.
https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...6,1-210mm.html

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 30th October 2015, 12:01 PM
Friend

Thanks Marty. The 150mm takes a 40.5mm filter so I am not sure if the camera will fold away properly if I bought a 210mm Xenar .
Old 30th October 2015, 12:31 PM
Friend

The 210mm f6.1 Xenar isn't a large lens, that's still quite a small filter thread, I'd be more worried about it's overall length. Ith's the same shutter size as your 150mm f4.5 Xenar a #1.

You can easily measure the gap between the focus track rails but I think a 150mm Symmar will fit and thfilter size is larger.

I have an Osaka (Congo) Commercial f6.3 210mm and that's smaller than the post WWII 150mm f4.5 Tessar and Xenar. The other surprisingly good small lenses are the 203mm f7.7 Ektars.

Ian
Old 1st November 2015, 09:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
The 210mm f6.1 Xenar isn't a large lens, that's still quite a small filter thread, I'd be more worried about it's overall length. Ith's the same shutter size as your 150mm f4.5 Xenar a #1.

You can easily measure the gap between the focus track rails but I think a 150mm Symmar will fit and thfilter size is larger.

I have an Osaka (Congo) Commercial f6.3 210mm and that's smaller than the post WWII 150mm f4.5 Tessar and Xenar. The other surprisingly good small lenses are the 203mm f7.7 Ektars.

Ian
https://www.schneideroptics.com/info..._lenses/xenar/

After looking at the specs in the above link, perhaps I should stick with the 150mm Xenar.
Old 1st November 2015, 07:03 PM
Friend

I know that it's a different system, but every 210mm lens I've tried does fit within my linhof without any clearance issues.
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:45 AM
Friend

the distance from the lens flange to front of barrel:

on the 150 (5.6) is 23.2mm
on the 210 (6.1) is 30.3mm

so the additonal length in front of the lens board is 7.1mm

the distance from the lens flange to rear of barrel (behind lens panel)

on the 150 (5.6) is 12.3mm
on the 210 (6.1) is 19.4mm

So again an addditional 7.1mm required from lens flange to GG.

It must already be a very tight fit if you haven't got space for an additional 7.1mm at both ends.

I have no idea how much your filter adds to that. Depends on the particular filter. B+W make some low profile filters for an exhorbitant price if its that tight. And remember that filters can be put on rear of LF lenses if there is space.

If you put a block of foam or wood with say 8mm thickness across lens barrel and try and close it gently with 150 lens and see if it will. (If you already have the 150 that is.)

Last edited by Argentum; 2nd November 2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:03 AM
Friend

Keith,

Have you tried contacting The MPP Users Group? I think they are still going after getting over the possibility of shutting down - check them out at:

http://www.mppusers.com/

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:38 AM
Friend

I'd be extremely surprised if the Xenar f6.1 210mm lens won't allow the MPP to fold up when it's fitted.

I use a Super Graphic which has less clearance compared to Pacenaker Graphics between the rail and the casing and it closes with plenty of room with a lens longer (flange to front of the lens cap) 38mm compared to the Xenar#s 30.3mm. There's plenty of room behind the lens and ground glass 45mm. The Super Graphic is a bit shallower when closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndnlfartist View Post
I know that it's a different system, but every 210mm lens I've tried does fit within my linhof without any clearance issues.
The MPP MicroTechnical cameras are essentially British made Linhof cameras based on the pre-WWII model so similar in size.

The big advantage of the 210mm Xenar compared to the 150mm is better edge/corner sharpness at apertures wider than f22 with 5x4 film. I've been using 150mm & 135mm Tessars and Xenars for a few years now and edge sharpness starts to be lost at f16 (compared to f22),

Because the 210mm has much better coverage (image circle) corner sharpness on 5x4 film is far better at f16, f11 etc, unless you're using extreme movements. My 210mm f6.3 Osaka (Congo) Commercial lens is a Tessar design but that slight change from a f6.1 to f6.3 makes it a much smaller lens compared to the Xenar.

I'd do what Rob suggests and try a bit of foam to test if it'll fit.

Ian
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:48 AM
Friend

Thanks to all of you who replied. I once had a Fujinon A 180mm F9 Apo lens, but even that wouldn't allow me to fold the camera away with the lens attached unless I unscrewed the filter.

The 150mm Xenar performs well, but doesn't allow much room for camera movements before vignetting occurs. It's good for most of the subjects I photograph though.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies