Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2016, 09:33 AM
Friend

Default Borderless prints

I've been trying to work out how to do borderless prints. Obviously I could use larger paper and trim down, but it is rather wasteful. I have a pack of Ilford MGIV 5x7 and tried to work without the easel mask, but the paper has a slight curl and refuses to lie flat. Does anyone have an answer?
Old 24th September 2016, 09:41 AM
Friend

I have an easel for border less prints, a friend made it nearly 40 years ago. Essentially it's just a piece of board with two strips of wood at 90 degrees that the paper fits against, there's non slip material on the back. Works perfectly.

Ian
Old 24th September 2016, 10:04 AM
Friend

I have a very old borderless easel, got it in a job lot, You can get the easels from Firstcall,
Richard
Old 24th September 2016, 10:08 AM
Friend

I used to do borderless prints years ago before I could afford a print easel. I had a flat piece of chipboard covered with white plastic - Contiplas -with the paper rectangle drawn on it with black pen. From time to time I would spray this with a light dusting of Photo Spray adhesive, then rub a cloth over it to reduce the amount of stickness, but just keep enough to lightly hold the photo paper in place.

Alan
Old 24th September 2016, 10:10 AM
Friend

Ian's idea looks great but you might also want to have a look at Paterson's magnetic corners. These are plastic right angles with magnets on the bottom to stick to a metal easel or any ferrous metal for that matter. They are pushed against the corners of the print and hold it securely while still allowing the light from the enlarger to reach the corners.

Two corners might be enough but four would be better

I am unsure if Paterson still sell these but if not, e-bay is another place to look.

Mike
Old 24th September 2016, 11:04 AM
Friend

You could sit a piece of clean glass on top of the paper to keep it flat. A corner made of two pieces of tape stuck to the baseboard should help keep the paper in the right spot. I used to just sit RC papers on the base, and that normally worked. FB paper is seldom flat out of the box.
Alex
Old 24th September 2016, 12:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I have an easel for border less prints, a friend made it nearly 40 years ago. Essentially it's just a piece of board with two strips of wood at 90 degrees that the paper fits against, there's non slip material on the back. Works perfectly.

Ian
I made a similar easel out of MDF but I drilled shallow countersinks at each corner and filled them with my secret weapon: BluTac.

Worked a treat!

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 24th September 2016, 10:27 PM
Friend

Thanks for your comments, I especially like the blu-tac idea! The only borderless easels I can see online are new/expensive, and mostly seem to rely on some kind of adhesive to hold the paper down.

In fact one of my easels has raised lugs on the base plate to locate the paper. So I could probably just leave the lid open and use some double sided tape.

I actually like borders, but sometimes the extra image area is useful or just looks better.
Old 25th September 2016, 10:11 AM
Friend

Edmund, I'm not at home at the moment, but think somewhere in my darkshed I've got some Patterson magnetic corners that I have never used, if I can find them and you want them, you can have them.

I will post if I find them

Ian
Old 25th September 2016, 11:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
[...] you might also want to have a look at Paterson's magnetic corners. These are plastic right angles with magnets on the bottom to stick to a metal easel or any ferrous metal for that matter.
I have a set of four of these little gadgets - Whilst they are a nice idea, I find that they leave little semicircular sections of unexposed paper on the edges. These areas (two on each corner) are approximately 4mm across, so the paper would still need trimming to get rid of them.

That said, I do use them to hold small scraps of paper down when making exposure or dodge/burn tests. Saves wasting a whole sheet when working on a small area of print.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies