Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th January 2021, 05:28 PM
Friend

Ilford has made it clear that the other difference is that the postcard backing is no longer available but it will include a template on the pack for own printing. Not a major problem and anyway didn't someone here say that you can actually buy packs of ready made back which were presumably primarily aimed at those who wanted to buy "ordinary" 4x6 and use the postcard backs on them

Not quite the same as the new even heavier Portfolio paper perhaps but a lot cheaper an option

Mike
Old 19th January 2021, 08:13 PM
Friend

Quite logical to give the Portfolio the new emulsion. Good news that they keep the Portfolio at all.
Frank
Old 19th January 2021, 10:50 PM
Friend

There is already a short YouTube video on this new Portfolio paper by a guy on the Isle of Wight. His videos are called Shootlikeaboss. Ilford clearly released the new paper to him in advance so he could produce a video on the day of the announcement

This is not a plug for him but frankly his down-to-earth man in the street delivery is both bright and informative and I suspect more importantly it is what a newcomer might do when beginning b&w film and darkroom photography. I think his approach is what may appeal to newcomers to photography and clearly Ilford think likewise. If you are reasonably new to film photography and want to try anything and everything then I can clearly see why he appeals to others

Anyway have a look at this video and his approach in other videos

It may be worlds apart from how experienced old stagers might do things but frankly he "connects" and Ilford would appear to agree

Mike
Old 20th January 2021, 01:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Ilford has made it clear that the other difference is that the postcard backing is no longer available but it will include a template on the pack for own printing. Not a major problem and anyway didn't someone here say that you can actually buy packs of ready made back which were presumably primarily aimed at those who wanted to buy "ordinary" 4x6 and use the postcard backs on them

Mike
I started to buy Ilford's standard paper over their postcard paper, once my last box of postcard paper had run out. I did this as it was more expensive, and sheets of labels are available that are just slightly smaller, and help strengthen the paper when stuck down. Mine are generic A4 sized ones, with six labels to the sheet.

Some of the branded label companies, like Avery, have templates on their web-sites, but I have found it easy enough to set up one of my own on a DTP package that I have used for years. To think that I used to spend time (badly) hand writing on the back of so many over the years. Now I only have to type it once and then copy and paste.

Terry S
Old 20th January 2021, 01:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
There is already a short YouTube video on this new Portfolio paper by a guy on the Isle of Wight. His videos are called Shootlikeaboss. Ilford clearly released the new paper to him in advance so he could produce a video on the day of the announcement

Mike
This is a link to whom Mike referred to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnRVpiDGro

It's a thumbs up from him to Ilford's new paper, although I didn't think he said anything more than what I read on Ilford's announcement.

'Horses for courses', as they say.

Terry S
Old 20th January 2021, 01:42 PM
Friend

Only problem is that I was looking for some this morning and I can't find any in any supplier that I checked, I will try a box of 9 1/2 by 12,
Richard
Old 20th January 2021, 04:34 PM
Friend

Thanks for the link Terry. That's him. I got it wrong Its Shootfilmlikeaboss not shootlikeaboss so sorry for that and apologies to him

I usually have a look at his videos. I like his open approach and his delivery. What you see is what you get, It's nothing fancy but his delivery style suits me

Richard, I noted that you mentioned it was slightly heavier, presumably than the old Portfolio paper base but I could see no mention of this in any of the Ilford announcements.

Can you say where this was mentioned

Thanks

Mike
Old 21st January 2021, 04:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Richard, I noted that you mentioned it was slightly heavier, presumably than the old Portfolio paper base but I could see no mention of this in any of the Ilford announcements.

Can you say where this was mentioned

Thanks

Mike
Quite by chance I had a look at another video on the new Portfolio paper. This time by someone called Steve O'Nions and he said the same as Richard and actually stated the new weight. He said 255 as opposed to 250 so he too must have got this from somewhere but of course in the video saying where this was, was not important to the video so I remain ignorant of its source

It has to be llford itself I presume but where it might be in the info I have no idea

Mike
Old 21st January 2021, 05:46 PM
Friend

Mike, I too have either read it or heard it somewhere on Ilford's website, that it is of a heavier base, but I too can't seem to find exactly where.

I can't even remember if they actually gave a figure, but an extra 5 gsm isn't much though...

Terry S
Old 21st January 2021, 06:01 PM
Friend

I read it somewhere, but I can't honestly say where, it might even have been on a Photrio post, but thats a guess, I have never used portfolio, so I can't say I understand whayt all the fuss is about, from all I can find out it is simply the new MG5 emulsion on a slightly warmer and heavier base, but I would liken to try it for myself, but even today I simply can't find it anywhere, Portfolio isn't even listed in any form in most places, the execption is AG, but thyey list MG4 portfolio as out of stock, I am surprised at Ilford, I would have thought they would have shipped it to at least their bigger suppliers before this big anousement about so thatb folk can get it
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies