Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2019, 01:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakubV View Post
Bit late-ish, mine and Lucy's (@luciavnuckova) respective offerings were posted today.

Jakub
And I've just received your print Jakub = many thanks.

The print Jakub has sent to me is a shot of some workmen 'repairing a pedestrian footbridge under the bridge of Slovak national uprising...' As I had not heard of this bridge before, I looked it up and it is a very much photographed place: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bridge+of+...ages&ia=images

The print received is a well composed and very well printed picture, taken on an SLR with a 58mm lens, taken on Ilford Pan400 and developed in stock D23. The print was made on a lovely air dried glossy FB paper, Fomabrom. A paper that I have not used myself as yet.

But from Jakob's letter, a number of the above points were new to me.

Like Ilford Pan400, which has produced a very fine grained print and just looking, the film is about two pounds cheaper than HP5+, my go to 35mm film. I'm now curious to try a roll or two.

And the developer D23, of which I have only just read about recently. It comprises of just two ingredients, Metol and Sodium Sulphite, both of which are easily available. I'm presuming that Jakob made up this developer himself as it's long not been on sale from what I've read. So I'm also curious about trying mixing that up myself for a test film - maybe a roll of Pan400 to see if I can get good results like Jakob?

And finally, he mentions using a 58mm lens. I've never even heard of such an unusual length lens, so does anyone else have one who could shed a bit more light about it?

So thank you once more for a fine print to add to my collection Jakob. Keep up the good work.

Terry S
Old 5th March 2019, 01:51 PM
Friend

The Helios lens that came with Zenit cameras was 58mm. Nikon also did one years ago. It’s a ‘long standard’ lens for 35mm. I think another Japanese company made one, either Pentax or Minolta? It gives a pleasing (to me, anyway) field of view.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5th March 2019, 02:46 PM
Friend

You can get the Pan 400 from both Silverprint and Firstcall, together with pan 100
Richard
Old 5th March 2019, 06:43 PM
Friend

Hi Terry, thanks for the kind words.

As for the film, compared to HP5, it seems to have a bit finer grain (or the structure is more pleasing for me anyway) but less contrast and exposure flexibility. There are conflicting opinions on internet about what this emulsion it really is - some say it's borders of HP5+ master roll, some say it's an old non plus version of HP5 or even HP4. For me, it's very close to Kentmere, but there are some differences in my opinion. It really can produce a tight grain even in rodinal, but I got best results from high sodium sulfite developers (D-76, D-76D and D-23).

D-23 is very simple to make and delivers what it promises - fine grain, good sharpness and less dense highlights as D-76. Although, as it doesn't contain any buffer, it seems to get more active over time. For this I consider to replace it with similarly simple D-76H - metol, sodium sulfite and borax as buffer.

Helios 44 is a soviet copy of Carl Zeiss Biotar 58/2 and used to be a kit lens for Zenit SLRs - so it's abundant and cheap in eastern europe, while producing swirly OOF plane wide open and acceptable sharpness closed to 5.6 or more. Field of view is a bit smaller than standard 50, feels more 'focused'.

Jakub
Old 6th March 2019, 11:39 AM
Friend

Thanks for all of that info Alex, Richard and Jakub = interesting reading.

Terry S
Old 7th March 2019, 03:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And mine has just been posted.

Terry S
I received two very nice prints two days ago. It is the same photograph but on two different papers. On the photo is a fountain with some beautiful historical buildings in the backround. One is on Kentmere RC Fine paper, which has better contrast in my opinion, the other one is on matt paper. I agree with you, Terry, that this matt paper has something to it, I think it gives a picture different atmosphere. So I like them both, thank you. =)

Lucia
Old 8th March 2019, 11:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciavnuckova View Post
I received two very nice prints two days ago. It is the same photograph but on two different papers.

Lucia
Hi Lucia,

thanks for letting me know that the prints arrived okay.

I totally agree with you, the RC paper does have more contrast = better whites and blacks, but as we both seem to agree on, FB matt paper has a look of it's own, especially when not compared to other papers.

All the best,

Terry S
Old 9th March 2019, 04:45 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakubV View Post
Bit late-ish, mine and Lucy's (@luciavnuckova) respective offerings were posted today.

Jakub
And received (or rather collected from the sorting office) today from Lucia. I received a card from the PO earlier in the week saying that I had a package that needed a signature that they tried to deliver last Monday. This has never been a problem before especially as I was in if the time on the card was correct and the card was actually delivered on the Monday as I did not find it until later in the week.

Anyway, it is a print of a young lad in a bistro about to tuck into his food. It tells a story which Lucia speculates on in her covering note. Because the photo is from the back and with as yet untouched plates of food beside him on the table it adds an air of mystery to the picture! Photos with people in them are relatively rare in this exchange so that it is nice to get one.

Thanks, Mike
Old 11th March 2019, 03:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
And received (or rather collected from the sorting office) today from Lucia. I received a card from the PO earlier in the week saying that I had a package that needed a signature that they tried to deliver last Monday. This has never been a problem before especially as I was in if the time on the card was correct and the card was actually delivered on the Monday as I did not find it until later in the week.

Anyway, it is a print of a young lad in a bistro about to tuck into his food. It tells a story which Lucia speculates on in her covering note. Because the photo is from the back and with as yet untouched plates of food beside him on the table it adds an air of mystery to the picture! Photos with people in them are relatively rare in this exchange so that it is nice to get one.

Thanks, Mike

Thank you. =)

Lucia
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies