Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th April 2015, 08:53 PM
Friend

Images in black & white are often stronger than those in colour. The simpler the information the more succinct the message.
Old 1st May 2015, 11:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Just got my Holland prints back, and they were disappointing (as expected!) There must be a knack to colour that I just can't master. Alex
Hi Alex,

you say that your prints are disappointing - but from what view do you mean? Too light / dark; lack of saturation etc?

I ask as you said that you used '...colour negative film. I only got through one 36 exposure roll of Portra 400.'

I'm no expert but I do believe that Portra has a softness in the saturation scale, for as the name implies, it was designed for portraits. Maybe a more 'amateur' film with more saturation and contrast etc. would have suited you and your prints better?

Maybe someone else will have more knowledge than me?

Terry S
Old 1st May 2015, 11:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
There was a talk at out club last week by a photographer who is he believes the only one to achieve his F.R.P.S. by using a pinhole camera for his panel. His prints were OUTSTANDINGLY FANTASTIC b&w masterpieces (as a Fellowship panel should be).
Hi John,

as one who has a big interest in pinhole photography, I have just looked up your photo club to look at the syllabus (http://www.durhamps.co.uk/?page_id=15572) to find out who the speaker was that you were talking about. It turned out to be: http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk but at present the site is under construction, so I (and others) will have to wait a while now to see some of these wonderful pictures that you write about that Paul obtained an FRPS with.

Just posting this information for anyone else who is also interested in pinholing and if you are a member of this forum Paul, please, please, please update your website with some pinhole pictures from your panel real soon!

With thanks in advance,

Terry S
Old 1st May 2015, 12:01 PM
Friend

I enjoy both colour and B&W. I am a novice when it comes to processing colour film and making colour prints but I have found it to be very enjoyable and not as hard as I first imagined. I put off having a go at c41/ra4 processing for years, in retrospect I was a fool not to try it a lot sooner.
Old 1st May 2015, 04:40 PM
Friend

Hi Terry. I knew Portra was more subtle in colour than some other films, but I wasnt that happy with the overall results. To me, colour prints never seem as sharp as B&W. I tried finding colourful subjects set against plain backgrounds, but even that wasn't very effective. The negatives were exposed at the stated 400asa, and they all look well exposed. I have another 4 rolls to use, so maybe practice will help.
Alex
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:20 AM
Friend

I like colour film. I have to admit to mostly using a digital camera for most casual colour work and dark room isn't set up for colour. However, I always carry a magazine of velvia 100 or Portra when going on a shoot. I get the colour films processed and scanned by a lab.

If we shoot MF or LF in colour the huge negative or transparency we get will enable printing mural size with ease by using hybrid work flow. I have had made some 40 X 30 canvases from drum scanned MF velvia 50 reversal film. These huge detailed prints give a lot of pleasure. So for me there's a really good reason to like colour film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies