Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th February 2018, 11:56 AM
Friend

Default At last! a 95-77mm adapter for the Bronica SQA 40mm PS lens

The Bronica SQA system's Zenzanon 40mm-PS f/4 wide angle lens is a great lens. There's just one really annoying problem: it's filter thread is 95mm! Not only are 95mm filters very expensive, compared to most of the other lenses in the SQA range (generally 67mm) it's a "one off".

I have standardised on 77mm for all my filters. 95-77mm step-down rings are not readily available. I considered the Lee 100mm filter system's 95mm adapter (about £60) having already got the system for 77mm. But that's yet another adapter ring to carry around and I prefer to use screw-on filters most of the time.

Well, I have now found a source. A Company in the USA, CAVISION make a special 95mm-75mm annular step-down ring for wide-angle lenses (model no. ART95-77). It doesn't appear to be available yet in Europe. I imported mine from B&H in New York. The price including the usual rip-off duties and carriage, about £54.00 for shipping to the UK. To me it's well worth it though because now I can use all my 77mm filters and the Lee filter system with the lovely 40mm lens.

The reason why this lens's filter ring is 95mm becomes apparent when fitting a filter. It's no so much to do with Vignetting but to do with the front element's curvature being such that a 77mm filter when screwed in would touch the front element. So, before I even fitted the filter, I made a 1.5mm shim out of mount board and placed this underneath the Cavision ring. Using a small piece of lens tissue placed on the front element I then screwed the filter on making sure that the tissue still moved about i.e. wasn't trapped between the lens and the filter. With the shim, I can safely screw my filters on without risking crunching the front element of the lens.

There is no sign of Vignette at f/22 with a screw-on filter fitted. Likewise with the Lee filter system fitted with two slide-in filters, there is no obvious Vignette. However, with a screw-in filter + the Lee filter holder screwed onto the filter , I did see some Vignette at f/22. So, best use the Lee filter system on its own.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:02 PM
Friend

Usually I would recommend SRB, but you have already bought what you required.

Just looking at their site, they do do the reverse to what you want, a LOT, LOT cheaper at £7, and I can imagine they would have done a one off, the other way around, for not much more. So, maybe next time, give them a look.

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/7...ing-2657-p.asp

Terry S
Old 13th February 2018, 01:04 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. I did look at SRB. I looked everywhere for 95-77. Hens teeth here in the UK!
Old 14th February 2018, 10:12 AM
Friend

I have , and like, the 40mm PS but not its 95mm filter thread. I have two filters for it, a Kood Skylight and a Rodenstock deep yellow, the Kood from Denton Photo Optics and the yellow from a camera fair. I made a lens hood from other things.
I also have a (rare) 50-100 Zenzanon which is also 95mm threaded and came with it's own bayonet fitting petal lens hood.
Having the filters may make a future sale of these lenses easier.
If you think 95mm is wide I have an Olympus supplementary wide lens which is 105mm!

Tags
95 to 77mm step-down ring, 95mm thread, bronica sqa, zenzanon 40mm ps lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies