Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th June 2018, 10:31 PM
Friend

Default How much film do you shoot?

Although I rarely use a digital camera for personal stuff nowadays, I'm beginning to think that my film consumption is pretty minimal. All over the internet I see bloggers posting pictures of their fridges totally filled with film, dozens of rolls waiting to be processed, and suitcases of film being taken on holiday.

As for myself, given the price of film, I'm unlikely to have more than a dozen rolls at any one time.

Recently I tend to mostly take specific sequences of pictures. Hence I'll perhaps use a couple of rolls in one continuous session, subsequently producing optimised prints over a period of days (given that I don't have a lot of spare time). In short, for me, it's just too time consuming to have very many new negatives at any one time.
Old 17th June 2018, 10:37 PM
Friend

On a week's vacation? Probably about 8 -10 rolls of 120 snd a couple of rolls of 135.
Old 17th June 2018, 11:35 PM
Friend

I must get through one to two rolls a week on average or 4x5 film when ever I go out the door I take a 35mm camera ,plus there's the grandkids and relatives ,family get to gethers and the like to photograph. and I have been printing to much as people have been asking for copies and I am going to say ok in the future and then accidently forget to ..I don't store my film or paper in a fridge they are kept in boxes in my darkroom .I have seen these people with there fridge full of film ,and I cannot understand it
Old 18th June 2018, 05:50 AM
Friend

I seem to shoot in a "stop and start" fashion.

If I go out somewhere, historic house, event or outdoor museum etc I might shoot a roll or two.

Day to day around about locally I shoot very little, maybe not even a roll in two or three months, hence my recent move to HC-110.

My film box at the moment contains about 3 rolls of B+W and maybe 20 rolls of colour (everything is OOD). I Have one box of paper which sits under my desk.

Ian
Old 18th June 2018, 09:22 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I am very stingy with exposures when I go anywhere so that a 36 exposure film can last anything from a week to months even when away from home visiting somewhere. Over the last year I have exposed 9 120 films and 10 135 films.

I have rather a lot of film in my freezer (I must do a stock check). These are mostly OOD films I have been given but still includes my last purchase of 30m of Delta 400 and 30m of Delta 100 a couple of years ago and haven't broached yet.
Mike
Old 18th June 2018, 11:52 AM
Friend

Stop start here too. Last week on an outing, 4 rolls. Week before was a single roll on a session for my brother, say on average 2 rolls a month? All 35mm for others, but my own personal stuff varies a lot. I also use 120 and large format, and as I want to enjoy what I do, I have to have the project in mind. It might be worth me keeping a diary of film and darkroom usage - just for my own personal information. My fridge has a fair few rolls and sheets in it too, but I'm in no desperate hurry to use it just to use it. In my younger years, I shot to no real purpose, but now I FART. https://kenrockwell.com/tech/fart.htm
I'm not sure it's a cure for GAS, but it applies.....
Old 18th June 2018, 12:11 PM
Friend

maybe 2 or 3 rolls a week, it depends rather on the weather and sky.if the light a sky's are great I could go though r rolls of 120 and some 35mm in the week, but if, as we have had for most of June, the skys are grey, it rains, then I may not use any, also, during the ''summer'' I shoot a lot at our Heritage sites, I have over 30 rolls of 120 and 20 rolls of 35mm in stock, all black and white, I often, weather and light permittting, take one of my cameras for a coastal walk, and will always use at least one roll of film, either 120 or 35mm depending were I go walking, I will say that I tend to use more film in the Autuam and winter when the light is just so much better,
Richard
Old 18th June 2018, 01:44 PM
Friend

It's not so much how much film you shoot, it's your success rate that's more important. So how many good images do you get from a box of 25 sheets of LF film or a roll of 120 or 35mm.

I know that at one location maybe 5 years ago I shot 4 maybe 5 sheets of film and came back with 2 excellent exhibition images, it's similar when I shoot 120.

So when away shooting I may have quite a lot of film available, but use a small proportion. Currently I have a lot of film in my darkroom, maybe 300+ sheets of 5x4 and 50 or 60 rolls of 120, not counting 10 rolls of Delta 3200 and 10 rolls 120 SFX.

In practice while I'm away at the moment I have 8 rolls Delta 100 120, a box of Fomapan 200 and also HP5 both 5x4, I guess it's also how I shoot which is mostly project based and little outside these projects.

Ian
Old 18th June 2018, 06:10 PM
Friend

I'm currently recovering from a period of inactivity (work related, mostly). Previously I kept a good supply of all my commonly used films in several formats so that I had instant access- with everything coming mail order I didn't want to get caught out. Eventually I realised I had film in the freezer I would just never shoot. I had PanF, HP5, Delta 100, Delta 3200, SFX220, Velvia (50 and 100) Portra, NPC160, all in a mix of 120, 135, and 5x4. Crazy. *
I grew up and recycled a pile of it through this forum.
Now I keep a smaller stash, and try to resist 'experimenting'.
In 120 I use PanF (in the Mamiya) and HP5 (in a folder).
135 is HP5 only.
5x4 was Fomapan 100 only, but I'm switching to HP5.
I'm weak, of course, and have been dabbling in Rollei IR400.
I keep no more than 10 rolls of anything in stock, as the post always comes within 3-4 days and I won't use more than 10 rolls of anything in that time.
I use as much film as I need- I'll happily shoot 1 frame of 135, or 16 sheets of 5x4 to get the shot I want.
Stockpiling materials just means some stuff will go stale. I lost some PanF which had been frozen, and developed mottling when developed.
The same applies to paper. Buy what you need, often. It keeps the materials fresh and helps manufacturers who need steady business to gauge demand.

* Oops, also had FP4, Fomapan 100, various 135 colour negs . . .

Last edited by skellum; 18th June 2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Truth will out.
Old 18th June 2018, 06:44 PM
Friend

I reckon I will hit about 40 rolls this year which will be a record for me. Previous high was about 35. Last couple of years less than that number.

This is one of the reasons why I like film actually. Since I don't run and gun as they say I don't feel any kind of pressure with film to take loads of pictures.

My day to day rate varies hugely depending on where I am. I reckon on about 1 roll per hour which can mean 5 or more per day in a big city, or only 1 per day if driving around in a car stopping occasionally i.e. multiple car stops would add up to about 1 hr of photography.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies