Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th May 2021, 07:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just idle curiosity on my part as photography probably had not entered my radar when lightweight FB was last around but other than lower cost what other advantages, if any, did it have over its heavier brother

Was it for instance harder or easier to flatten or about the same and once flattened did it stay as flat?

Thanks

Mike
The two uses I've found for it are paper negatives and hand binding prints into books. I've not done the latter yet; it's on my to do list.
With the paper negatives, I acquired a dozen whole and half plate glass negatives some time around the start of the year. One of them, taken some time in the early 1900s, I think, is actually a positive. Unfortunately, there's a crack running across the top corner. Thankfully the paper binding tape has held it together for the past century.
At any rate, I made a contact print onto single weight paper and, even with its thinner base, I wound up removing the lens from my enlarger completely and STILL needed two minutes of exposure to make a positive contact print from the retouched paper negative. I'd hate to think how long I'd have needed to expose a medium weight paper!
Worth it, though, and I'm grateful to have had on hand paper so perfectly matched in size and purpose.
Old 24th May 2021, 07:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
If you tighten a micrometer by turning the ratchet stop - as you should - then, as John says, you get no compression.

Alan
Exactly I just could not think of the word - Thanks Alan
Old 25th May 2021, 04:25 AM
Friend

> supplied FB paper in either Single or Double weight.

I used single weight Orwo papers in my younger day, except postcards and large format. 18x24 single weight was not unusual.

This year I got a bunch of old stock papers, most still usable. There was a package of single weight 13x18 paper among this. I enjoyed this paper again. It was much easier to get it flat.
Old 26th May 2021, 11:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just idle curiosity on my part as photography probably had not entered my radar when lightweight FB was last around but other than lower cost what other advantages, if any, did it have over its heavier brother

Was it for instance harder or easier to flatten or about the same and once flattened did it stay as flat?

Thanks

Mike
Single weight FB paper had a huge disadvantage of being a reasonable translucent paper base.

So, your print looked hugely different sat on a table (dark) to when it was picked up (even in regular room light it made the dark tones look really naff)

For this reason I never thought single weight was value for money - no one I knew could get a decent print out of it.

Martin
Old 26th May 2021, 12:51 PM
Friend

When I started out as a youngster, I was at the mercy of whatever the nearby photo shops had in stock.
Both of them made their money as professional wedding and portrait photographers, only carrying a tiny stock of paper and chemicals with about ten cameras for sale in the shop window. There was virtually no choice as to size and finish of paper, and I cannot remember seeing RC papers until the mid seventies.
To fit in with their business, single weight paper was sold by them in the smaller formats, it was the stuff they used for their businesses.
They used single weight papers for proof prints to present to the customer for economies sake.
The proofs usually had a rubber PROOF stamp boldly placed so that the picture could not be used for display.
Often you would see the PROOF mark punched into the paper, the letters being made up of loads of holes in the paper similar to the old teleprinter punched tapes.
So for me when someone mentions single weight paper I automatically think of wedding proofs.
I remember it being recommended when starting out to use single weight for your record contact sheets as it was cheaper, and to keep double weight for the final prints, but I could not afford two boxes of 8 x 10 . One box of 8 x 10 was a luxury and had to be used wisely.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies