Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st August 2011, 12:45 PM
Friend

I'm unsure of the term ''classic landscape elements''.

''Classic'' landscape elements are for me just that.....elements, i.e. earth, wind, fire, and water, which both the North and South of England have in abundance (well.... maybe not the fire).

Or, as I fear, are we declaring our preferences for a specific regional cliche, that could be forwarded as a representative ''classic'' English landscape ?

Comment #7 put it best I think......'' Regardless of whether you are in the north, south, east or west it's the light you are photographing''

JP
Old 31st August 2011, 01:23 PM
Friend

Personally I love the Peak District, especially as I can drive there in less than an hour from where I live. To tell you the truth, anywhere in the UK I've travelled to, I've never had any problems finding beautiful landscapes to photograph and I think we are fortunate here in the British Isles in having wonderful photographic opportunities. The weather is certainly an important factor.

I only really know the western side of England and North Wales, going right down to Devon and Cornwall. On my previous visits to Cornwall, I have always photographed local villages and the people living and working there as well as general landscape vistas.

I'd like to see the eastern half of Britain one day when the opportunity arises. Many years ago I did travel up the western coast of Scotland but only reached as far as Oban because my holiday was coming to an end. Without doubt, the scenery was stunning.
Old 6th September 2011, 05:50 PM
Friend

The whole country seems to be full of photographic opportunities.

Those opportunities vary across the length and breadth of the country - some will be excite while others won't.

However, there is nothing to say that one set of landscapes are better than any other - they are just different.

In the right light almost anywhere and anything seems to be photogenic.

What I find endlessly fascinating, is trying to match the available quality of light to the right subject.

Martin
Old 24th February 2012, 05:46 PM
Friend

I have heard of swarms of photographers travelling to Yosemite only to find disappointment. They fail to photograph anything meaningful because it is too difficult to detach oneself from the ‘magic’ of a location.

BTW, I thought Yorks were down South?
Old 24th February 2012, 06:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekStyczen View Post
BTW, I thought Yorks were down South?
You are right. All things are relative. I live in Devon but being born in Northumberland I do have to remind those from Yorkshire that they are just "Pseudo Northerners" and are really midlanders just as the Scots have to remind us Geordies we are not Northerners. But we are talking about England here so the Scots don't count, especially since they seem to want to divorce themselves from us.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies