Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th August 2015, 07:45 AM
Friend

Default Devere 504 ilford 500 controller/ timer

Hi all,

I have a De Vere 504, with the ilford multigrade system and 500c timer- recently it has started acting up- it starts flitting through numbers, going up and down in increments of 10 seconds without me pressing any keys - eg. 15/ 25/45/85/95 and so on - it beeps constantly too. Its impossible then to print or expose- think this is an electrical issue - it happened before 3 years ago, gave it to someone to look at, but it had suddenly righted itself - is this an electrical issue, or could it be to do with power supply - has anyone ever seen this before?

If anyone has a spare timer, or wanting to sell one, could be interested too.

Thanks a million.
Grainne
Old 1st September 2015, 09:00 PM
Friend

hi grainne

I've had that sort of thing happen with those soft touch type keypads before on other equipment
i fixed it by using a hairdryer to gently dry out condensation that had formed in it
if you try this be very gentle as you don't want to melt anything

if all else fails then i would definitely recommend a rh designs analyser 500 which i think everybody that swapped to after their 500c packed up loves

good luck

robin
Old 1st September 2015, 10:57 PM
Friend

Cheers Robin, that's helpful, will definitely try it out!
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:23 AM
Friend

I have a spare DeVere Universal Timer that's just gathering dust, Grainne. PM me if you are interested.
Michael
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:21 AM
Friend

If you feel confident enough, open the box and re-seat the plug-in chips. When they get old corrosion can cause intermittent faults, so just carefully prise them up in their sockets and then push them back down. That might help. Best not to remove them entirely as if you're not careful the pins can bend when you plug them back in!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:26 PM
Friend

Thank you! Had a quick peek inside today - will look again tomorrow. If I don't feel confident, could I give it to a electrician to inspect?

Its a little strange though the timer- I tried it again today - and it worked happily for about 30/40 mins, than it started off again ...

Cheers again for that.
Grainne
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:53 PM
Friend

Intermittent faults are a problem! It could be temperature dependent. A TV or electronics repair person would be able to have a look and give you an opinion, if you can find one in these days of disposable everything ..

Old 2nd September 2015, 07:58 PM
Friend

Hi Richard, definitely will either have a go myself or will show it to someone, thank you for the advice, really appreciate this!
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:57 AM
Friend

You're welcome . I'm not promising anything but if I remember correctly there's one or more plug-in chips in the controller and these are notorious for giving trouble in older equipment!

Tags
504, devere, ilford system, timer issue
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies