Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd March 2022, 04:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Martin - really interesting feedback, and most helpful. Thank you!

If your times at 1+2 are basically the same as Iford's posted times for 1+1, then it's no wonder I'm getting the results I am with this film-developer combo. I checked my developing notes last night for a few rolls of D-100, and they were all as per Ilford's times for D76 @ 1+1, with a couple of recent ones at N-10% (sp. 8.5 to 9.5 minutes at EI 50). This was using standard Ilford agitation of 10 sec. / minute. These are way different from your times.

Also, I'm assuming that the higher dilution of 1+2 would give a softer rendering vs. 1+1.

I notice your agitation is for 15 sec. / min. - would this be enough of an increase to cause your times to be so much shorter? It doesn't seem likely, but I thought I'd ask in case this film was super fussy about agitation.

In any case, may I ask how you find the tonality and tonal gradations with your regimen? As mentioned, my results are lacking rich mid-tones and those subtle gradations that make for a really pleasing image.
Hi Svend.

I doubt there is very much difference between 10 s every minute and 15 s every minute, in terms of development times.

Developing film at 1+2 will give a softer rendering than 1+1 - but only for a given development time.

I am developing film to a specific subject brightness ratio - so the developed negative would look no different to one developed at a development dilution of 1+1.

Because of the weaker development solution, I need to develop for longer in a 1+2 to get the same degree of development to meet my SBR than I would if I was developing at 1+1.

The results I achieve using my regime give my richly toned negatives that are easy to print from and result in nice full toned prints.

I think Delta 100 is a great film but needs very precise development - both developing time and temperature control need to be spot on - far more so than for more conventional films such as FP4/HP5.

Delta 100 works really well for Zone System film development - there will be much more forgiving films to work with if you don't need Zone System developing such as FP4 and HP5.

Hope this helps

Martin
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Martin I have just looked up the Ilford times for D100 in ID11 at 1+1 and it says 11mins which seems completely at odds with what I have inferred from your statement that the Ilford times were too short and below 5 mins

Can you clear this up for me?

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike.

No problem.

When I was trying Delta 100 in ID11 at 1+1 I was getting very short development times in situations with very large subject brightness ratios - less than 4 minutes for 10 stops.

I just wanted one set of development times using just one developer dilution - KISS (keep it simple stupid)

So, rather than risk the potential for uneven development due to very short development times, I decided to use a weaker development solution and take a couple of minutes longer in the film development stage.

The whole purpose of the Zone System is to enable almost any scene, across almost any level of subject brightness to be developed so that the negative will print on to a Grade 2 paper.

That leaves the other paper grades plus dodging and burning available for the photographers artistic interpretation of scene.

As has been said, many times before - if you have something that works for you and you are happy with it, then stick to it and take no notice of what anyone else tells you.

The lecturer who taught me photography at University said to us all, "If you find a film and developer combination that works for you stick to it. Over time you will learn how to manipulate them to be able to cover almost any subject and/or lighting".

His words are still true.

Martin
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:44 PM
Friend

Thanks for the reply Martin

Mike
Old 4th March 2022, 12:03 AM
Friend

I have used quite a lot of TMX in Beutler with excellent results. Could never get quality negs from TMX with D76. Delta 100 should work very well in Beutler!
Old 4th March 2022, 02:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I doubt there is very much difference between 10 s every minute and 15 s every minute, in terms of development times.
OK -- that's good to know. Some films and developers are highly sensitive to agitation (e.g Tmax, Rodinal), so I was curious if D-100 was one of those. Sounds like my usual routine will be fine, if not even a bit lower contrast than what you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
The results I achieve using my regime give my richly toned negatives that are easy to print from and result in nice full toned prints.
Excellent to hear - that's just what I'm after.

Thanks very much for the insight. You've given me a great starting point for finding the sweet spot with this film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulioF View Post
I have used quite a lot of TMX in Beutler with excellent results. Could never get quality negs from TMX with D76. Delta 100 should work very well in Beutler!
Interesting suggestion Julio. Another vote for a metol 2-bath brew, after the Thornton one by Jonathan. I've been meaning to try a 2-bath since reading Thornton's book and seeing the results he and others get from them. Thanks for that.
Old 4th March 2022, 11:42 PM
Friend

Well, Beutler is not a two-bath, although some people use it that way. The classic Beutler uses two concentrated solutions that are mixed and diluted just before use, as a single bath. That is how I have used it.

Times are about the same as D76 1:1.

I have also tried the old Leitz developer, that was a two-bath. Not as good as Beutler for TMX.
Old 5th March 2022, 12:30 AM
Friend

Thanks for clarifying Julio. I did a quick search on Beutler yesterday and only saw references to folks using it as a two-bath. Sounds like a really interesting developer - people report very high acutance. I will definitely look into this. I have all the raw chemicals to make it, except perhaps the carbonate which is cheap and easy to get.

Cheers,
Svend
Old 6th March 2022, 05:07 PM
Friend

With delta I use HC 110 @ 1+31 for 6 mins produces some really nice and smooth negatives.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th March 2022, 06:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
With delta I use HC 110 @ 1+31 for 6 mins produces some really nice and smooth negatives.

I have used the Delta films successfully with HC110. I normally use 1+49 for convenience.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 7th March 2022, 03:49 AM
Friend

Mitch, Alex - thanks for the feedback. I do have HC110 on hand, so this would be easy to try out.

I have two exposed rolls ready to develop, so I think my first go will be with dilute D76 (1+2) at Martin's suggested time, and then see how it looks. I can tweak development time for the second roll if need be. If neither of those are to my liking, then I will try a few rolls in HC110 or Xtol (I still have about 4 litres of Xtol sitting there waiting for some suitable films )
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies