Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th February 2009, 01:21 PM
Friend

Default Fibre based paper

How can I get fibre based papers flat indoors ...in college I am using a hot press on them just wondered if there was another way to do it at home,
thanks in advance... Jack

Forget this ...just seen the advice on another topic underneath...please excuse me its an age thing

Last edited by j8kkb; 11th February 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:24 PM
Friend

I peg fibre based paper up back to back, one peg at each corner,I find wooden pegs are best, the paper dries almost flat, then the prints between mounting board with a pile of books finish'S the job, works every time for me. Richard.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:50 AM
Friend

I too use the between two mount boards and a pile of books method with complete success :-)

Neil

Neil Souch
Old 21st February 2009, 02:15 PM
Friend

I have two long MDF boards which run the length of the bed underneath the mattress. I place the prints between blotting paper or mounting board and sleep on them.
Old 25th February 2009, 08:18 PM
Friend

I lay all my prints on newspapers spread over the kitchen table and place them under books in another room the following day. Works fine for me.
Old 12th September 2009, 02:08 PM
Friend

A professional mounting lab suggested to me a method of cold flattening fibre prints that I find very effective.
I dry all my prints face down on nylon mesh screens. In one session I usually make 10 to 15 prints (12x16). When dry I put them between two archival mounting boards and put this sandwich between two heavy slabs (16x20x2), made of granite, that have a smooth polished face. Marble or any other heavy stone is suitable provided that each of them have one polished face.
These slabs can usually be made out of cheap scraps.
After one night the prints are perfectly flat and stay flat unless the relative humidity in the air is to high (60% or more).
It is crucial to use two slabs, this ensures uniform pressure over the prints. Giuseppe
Old 29th October 2009, 01:10 AM
Friend

Default FB Paper - getting it flat

Hi Everyone,

Vincent
I lay all my prints on newspapers spread over the kitchen table and place them under books in another room the following day. Works fine for me.

I've started experimenting with FB paper (99% RC user) so it's all new to me and decided to go for 7"x5" size paper so I can get the feel for the process, got to keep costs down and to see if I really like it. Early days yet but when you place your prints on newspaper is it face down or up?

Down would be better for less curl but does this pick up the newsprint onto the wet print?

At present I hang up to drip-dry with clothes peg in one corner then flatten between 2 full boxes of xerox paper. This works fine for small prints - but I've lots to learn about the working method . Pity I can't just put it in my Durst RC3200 print dryer! (I wish).

apxuser
Old 29th October 2009, 09:32 AM
Friend

Jack

Search the archive on FADU, this has been discussed in depth elsewhere.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 29th October 2009, 05:52 PM
Friend

I think the idea of "flat" FB prints is a myth

My dry FB prints both curl and flatten themselves as the temperature and humidity change.

I made the mistake on leaving some of my flat dry FB prints in direct sun one afternoon and they curled hugely only to slowly straighten themselves up again when removed to a shady spot

Martin
Old 29th October 2009, 07:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by apxuser View Post
Hi Everyone,

Vincent

I've started experimenting with FB paper (99% RC user) so it's all new to me and decided to go for 7"x5" size paper so I can get the feel for the process, got to keep costs down and to see if I really like it. Early days yet but when you place your prints on newspaper is it face down or up?

Down would be better for less curl but does this pick up the newsprint onto the wet print?

At present I hang up to drip-dry with clothes peg in one corner then flatten between 2 full boxes of xerox paper. This works fine for small prints - but I've lots to learn about the working method . Pity I can't just put it in my Durst RC3200 print dryer! (I wish).

apxuser
Hi Apxuser,

I dry my prints face up on newspapers laid on the kitchen table for fear as you say that they may pick up newspaper print. After that I place them between mounting board and load it with large size books. I do select only really good books in the belief that the goodness flows through the mounting board and into my prints, thus giving me successful shots (only joking)

Good look with your printing.

Cheers
vincent

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies