Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd August 2014, 08:55 PM
Friend

Default changed my mind again ?????

was thinking about getting rid of some of my cameras the other week ,and then had second thoughts I bought a brand new Mamiya RB67 PRO SD a few years ago from FFordes ,I also got two film backs and a kl 127mm 3.5 lens new ,and a eyelevel finder and a hand grip ,all was well at first but I was not happy with the lens it didn't seem to sit comfortably with portraits that I was taking so it did not get used much ,so it was just about to get the boot when I was reading that the KL180mm 4.5 was good for portraits so I had a look at the web at some pictures that people had taken with this lens ,I was hooked again so I looked on ebay and won a nice kl 180mm 4.5 lens it came yesterday and so fare I have put three rolls of Ilford fp4 in it and have been printing them up today and WOW ,even my wife was impressed ,I can fill the hole 6x7 negative up with just a head and get real close up shots ,that are so clear and sharp ,and no distortion ,so it will be staying in the big Paul family for the foreseeable future ..I must add that at the moment RB,s and lenses are cheap to buy the lens only cost me £81.00 pounds a bargain ..........................

www.essexcockney.com
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:53 PM
Friend

Score, Big Paul! Very glad you're enjoying your new lens. It seems that us photographers worry about 'gear; and having too much. I know a few painters, and they most certainly never worry about having too many brushes or canvases. A new lens sometimes just opens up a new way of seeing, so make hay and post some samples.
Cheers!

Last edited by skellum; 22nd August 2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Spelling like an ad exec
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:25 PM
Friend

It must be good if even the wife was impressed! I have to say that I like portraits that are big close ups. The only problem I have is getting people to sit for me. I have found that a new lens , with a completely different perspective can give you new inspiration and enthusiasm. I used to get that effect when I was younger buying a new guitar. I could play new tunes and do things that seemed impossible on the previous one. Unfortunately , I think I've outlived my musical ability, so I'm concentrating on photography. Good luck with the new lens, and I hope it proves to be a winner. It certainly was a good price.
Alex
Old 23rd August 2014, 01:38 PM
Friend

Cheap to buy has its downsides if you're selling one, unfortunately. I have an RB and may hang on to it although it's a shame having it sat around doing nothing - but you never know...
Glad you sorted it and look forward to seeing some portraits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
...... ..I must add that at the moment RB,s and lenses are cheap to buy the lens only cost me £81.00 pounds a bargain ..........................
www.essexcockney.com

Tony
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:41 PM
Friend

Tony you are right the price is low at the moment and its a good time for buying not selling ,but what a great camera ,mine is all in mint condition and have had most of it from new... Rankin uses a RZ with a digital back ,so they can be modernised by others who are in to digital ,but for me its the size of the negative ,with a roll of FP4 and a box of Ilford FB paper it cannot be beaten ,now I would like a KL 90mm3.5,and maybe a KL 350mm 5.6 ,who knows. what's coming next ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 24th August 2014, 12:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
[...]t for me its the size of the negative ,with a roll of FP4 and a box of Ilford FB paper it cannot be beaten
If the size of negative is important to you, perhaps we could tempt you with a 5x4 kit

Should 5x4 still be too small, I'm sure someone could match you up with something even bigger...
Old 24th August 2014, 01:55 PM
Friend

Default Changed my mind also - again!

I bought the RB for the 6x7 negative size as I was a bit fed up with the square of my Mamiya C330s. I tried taking it out hiking but it's better as a studio camera. 5x4 seemed the next logical step (?) as PaulC suggests. My Wista 45 is probably similar weight (with film holders included) as the RB. But it's a different approach. So now? I'm back to using the C330s, which seems to be what I've settled on - hand-holdable, decent sized negative and, for me, reasonably light to take out walking.
I'm reluctant to sell the RB but can't see me using it for a while. Maybe when I can afford a digital back for it....which will be, er, never!

Tony
Old 24th August 2014, 10:03 PM
Friend

Tony, no accident you've gone back to the C330. It's offers big negs, bellows focus, bright viewfinder and it's tough. I've been working mine for 20 years and it's never given me a minutes trouble. I pack one camera, four lenses, meter, 10 rolls of film, paramender, stereo slide bar and filters in a modest shoulder bag. As you say, the next logical step up is 5x4- then you're talking about a rucksack and heavy tripod.
Old 24th August 2014, 10:21 PM
Friend

I can't part with my (beat up) C330 either. Recently I have started to crop at the printing stage. I go 4:3 or even 3:2, feels good.
Old 25th August 2014, 02:35 PM
Friend

Miha, that's a coincidence.I've never been one for cropping at print stage always tried to get it right in camera. But just this week I was at a country show using the C330s and took a shot that ended up with too much sky in it, so I cropped it. Not a second thought and I like the idea now. The print still looks natural though, not 'forced' by cropping, if you understand me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
I can't part with my (beat up) C330 either. Recently I have started to crop at the printing stage. I go 4:3 or even 3:2, feels good.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies