Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2015, 09:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
It's very good but ILFORD film is still the best... Especially if you want it to lie flat in the negative carrier...

richard
Richard,
I hate to have to disagree with a fellow fisherman, but in 120, I find that Foma 400 is always dead flat when dry, unlike HP5, and FP4 which usually have a slight curl. Tri x is slightly curlier, I find.....

Alan
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
It's very good but ILFORD film is still the best... Especially if you want it to lie flat in the negative carrier...

richard
Hate to disagree, but you are wrong, as a long time user of Fomapan it lies completely flat, at one time it did have a bad curl that needed a couple of days in the neg pages under weight to straighten out, but they solved that problem, and nowadays Fomapan, at least in 200/400 dries flat, in both 35mm and 120, in fact I was surprised recently when I used a few rolls of HP5+ to find it had a slight curl to it,so Foma lies dead flat in the negative carrier
Richard
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:23 AM
Friend

Foma changed the 120 film base so both can be right

Ian
Old 6th July 2015, 08:16 AM
Friend

Wow! I didn't know there was a problem with film laying flat in the neg carrier I have had trouble with contact printing 120 because I use a pane of glass.

I have always taken the curl in a film as being wound to tight on the reel inducing a set hence the curl. I've put it down one of life's, what should be simple is made difficult to keep it interesting.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th July 2015, 08:29 PM
Friend

Default foma 200

Anyone seen the glow?

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00EgiY
Old 7th July 2015, 10:07 AM
Friend

I see it all the time when i'm make pictures of people with a good heart

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:21 PM
Friend

I have just developed with ilfosol 3 a roll of fomapan 200 at 1x9 20c for 4mins 30sec
and it has come out very flat hardly any contrast and could do with another 2 mins development ,after I developed the fomapan ,I developed a roll of hp5 at 6mins 30sec and that is just perfect .. now this is making me think that I should have developed the fomapan at 6min 30sec or maybe even 7mins . I have got 9 roll of fomapan left so I will try again soon and let you know how I get on .when I get it right I will know then if its any good .I wont be replacing ilford film with anything else because I am used to it and it does what I want it to do ,but it makes a change sometimes to try other makes of film..
so that's my excuse to go out with my camera and have some fun ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 13th July 2015, 07:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I bought 10 rolls of fomapan 200asa 36exp film the other day and was delivered today I have put a roll in my camera and hope to try it out as son as possible ,I have been on the internet and the census seems to be with ilfosol 3 ,either 1x14 6mins or 1x9 4mins 30 sec .if you have used this film and or developed it in ilfosol 3 how did you get on with it ,I haven't gone mad I will be staying with ilford but I had a funny five minutes and fancied a change ,other than the odd Kodak film I have mostly used ilford film all my photography life...

what do you think of fomapan film ??????????????

www.essexcockney.com
Whatever you do use, be sure to pre-soak the film in the tank for five minutes in tap water at the developing temperature before starting the development.

richard
Old 24th July 2015, 10:43 PM
Friend

I took the grandkids to the funfair at Canvey island Essex the other day and took two rolls of film fp4 and fomapan 200 I developed both in ilforsol 3 ,the fomapan for 6mins 30 sec which seems about right ,I found that the fomapans grain was a bit off-putting and the contrast seemed very soft the fp4 is so much finer grain there was more detail and sharpness in the ilford prints, than the fomapan prints .I will use it up but I will be sticking to ilford fp4 and fast film hp5 and Kodak tx . I am sure that being used to a film makes it easer to use ,and other people may like the results they get from fomapan ,at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice ,and its good to have a choice of films I have 7 rolls left and I will see how they go ,and have fun using them.......

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:35 AM
Friend

I develop Fomapan 100 in LC29 using timings straight from Massive Dev Chart. My issue with Fomapan has always been there always seem to be voids in the emulsion or clusters of dark spots. The voids turn up as dark spots on prints and the dark spots manifest like dust on prints. Has anyone else seem these inconsistencies in Fomapan.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies