Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd October 2020, 04:00 PM
Friend

Default 620 b/w film availability

Note that I'm not in the market for any 620 film - at the moment at least - but I have noted over the years many people asking about it's availability.

I have just checked ebay and there are a number of expensive lots, including hand rolled and 1960's rolls, with most being in the US, so add on quite a bit extra for p/p.

So, having just read about a newly available film in 620 format, I thought I'd post a link. Note that it is an American site though, so prices appear higher and of course there's the p/p already mentioned. But if you are desperate to try it out, maybe one of the UK dealers / shops might start to sell it if nudged a little?

To quote them, ' “This year’s release is a panchromatic BW film with the same great look of our 16mm movie film, named after the most ferocious, hair-raising monster of all time: the Wolfman! With 35mm, 120 – and even 620! – options, vintage camera shooters are sure to howl with delight.” '

https://filmphotographystore.com/col...man-620-1-roll

https://kosmofoto.com/2020/09/fpp-re...for-halloween/

And just checking their site, they also seem to stock some other 620 films:

https://filmphotographystore.com/collections/620-film

And then theirs Nik and Trick, who re-spool any 120 film onto a (supplied) 620 reel, for a cost plus the price of a film etc.:

https://ntphotoworks.com/product/ilf...lled-620-film/

And a further in depth search also brought up the following, which says it's a US company but has a UK address and prices are in £'s:

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/search?q=620+film

Well, so much for me thinking that you couldn't get 620 film easily any more!!!

The only thing is apparently, is that you have to pay a premium for it.

Well next time I make a post like this, I'll do the homework first. It's just that I was so happy to find the original 620 film post and thought that I had found out something new... Ho, hum.

Anyway, happy shooting what ever your format.

Terry S
Old 3rd October 2020, 04:12 PM
Friend

Regarding 620, for which, like Terry, I have no use for at present, I have read on Phototrio, that Shanghai, the Chinese film maker, is now making black and white film in 620, according to one post over there he has contacted the firm and it appears to be true, I have seen posts here asking about 620, and just maybe, looking at Terry's post and Shangai's news it may become available once more, even if in smaller amounts,
Richard
Old 3rd October 2020, 07:23 PM
Friend

Yes, Shanghai Film appears to see a niche in the market for films that other makers have long since abandoned

It has just brought out a 220 film as well

Mike
Old 4th October 2020, 04:45 PM
Friend

Hi Terry,
Thanks for bringing this up. Just inherited my friend Bernard's first camera, a Kodak Brownie. Although he told me not to waste any film with it, I want to try it for sure. Good to know where I can find the spools.
Frank
Old 4th October 2020, 06:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Hi Terry,
Thanks for bringing this up. Just inherited my friend Bernard's first camera, a Kodak Brownie.
Frank
Hi Frank, I would double check the film format required for your brownie, as I purchased two different models this year and both of them take the standard and easy to buy 120 film.

Terry
Old 4th October 2020, 06:25 PM
Friend

Frank, I doubt that your |Brownie will take 220, it is a red window camera, some took 120, some 127, and some early ones took 620, which is 120 ilm but on a different spool, but red window cameras could not use 220 as this film has no backing paper, just a paper leader and tail
Richard
Old 5th October 2020, 05:14 PM
Friend

Thanks for your advice. The box is from the early 50s. 220 certainly not and I tried already 120, but the spool is too big. Could try two of them down, but with the spools available, I will go for this. That's all you need. Actually the folks, who offer now 620 & 220 films are just rolling normal material newly up and charge the fee for this. The Brownie is for fun as I have two other excellent cameras for 120 already.
Frank
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies