Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2021, 07:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Technically photography is not allowed on London Transport, however it is allowed with permission still and vudeo and there's details on their website.

But of course there's plenty of video survailance and plenty of people do take photps and these aren't usually an issue, it depends what you are photographing. But if you are seen documenting access points, areas of congestion, then that rightly raises red flags. It's common sense.

Ian
It may have changed in the recent past but there is nothing in the the Byelaws that specifically covers photography on the lines run by TFL.

Similarly there was a Byelaw that prohibited busking, but that has now been repealed and busking is allowed with permission

So 'Technically' there is no specific rule that prohibits photography but you may be asked to desist if you are causing a problem, failure to do so is covered by conduct whilst on the Byelaw, about not responding to a request by a member of staff. You could be asked to leave and failing to do so is also a specific offence. This is covered in a 'Catch All' Bylaw where a person may be causing a problem.

All in all, like on the main line it is better to get written permission before setting out to take pictures on their premises. What ever may appear on their website must be backed up by legislation otherwise it becomes a very messy indeed and virtually impossible to legally enforce. To see the byelaws just search for Transport for London Byelaws.

Last edited by John King; 19th November 2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 19th November 2021, 10:43 AM
Friend

You're right John, TFL do have a policy and permission is needed for serious photography.

Casual photography is permitted but no flash, that may be a slight change, last time I shot in a tube station was around 2003 and there were no photography signs. You're more likely to be stopped on security grounds if shooting details of access etc.

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 19th November 2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
They have uniformed security on the platforms with the sole job of keeping photographers off the stations. the two stations are north east of Newcastle and were badly affected. I think this was due to the unwanted photographers actually going down onto the the lines. The rules are actually in the Byelaws enforced by Tyne and Wear Metro and can mean a court appearance and upon conviction a criminal record and carry a fine of up to £2000 for trespass exactly the same as the track maintained by network rail.

That I am all in favour of this because the disruption caused, if a person is even seen on the lineside, trains are put on caution which causes delays to back up and can be incredibly expensive for the company.
Which stations are they? I've spent many happy hours photographing Whitley Bay, Cullercoats and Tynemouth stations (even better when the market is on at Tynemouth!). I understand the concern about people going onto the tracks but that generally happens on the open main lines when there's a steam special about. As an ex-railwayman I totally agree with clamping down on those idiots!
I used to run a station and our company's policy was that photographers (whatever the camera) were welcome but tripods weren't allowed without permission (mainly to avoid obstruction). I only ever had to chuck one photographer off the station, for trying to photograph one of my colleagues when she'd specifically asked him not to.
Old 19th November 2021, 12:51 PM
Friend

Certainly I had no problems in Glasgow Central a few years back and I was withing sight of 2 policemen but these were Police Scotland and not Transport Police so they might have regarded my actions as being not part of their remit

Mike
Old 19th November 2021, 03:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Which stations are they? I've spent many happy hours photographing Whitley Bay, Cullercoats and Tynemouth stations (even better when the market is on at Tynemouth!). I understand the concern about people going onto the tracks but that generally happens on the open main lines when there's a steam special about. As an ex-railwayman I totally agree with clamping down on those idiots!

I used to run a station and our company's policy was that photographers (whatever the camera) were welcome but tripods weren't allowed without permission (mainly to avoid obstruction). I only ever had to chuck one photographer off the station, for trying to photograph one of my colleagues when she'd specifically asked him not to.
I have chucked the magazine that the article was in but I seem to recall that the stations (there were three) was going north towards Gosforth, not far from the main rolling stock depo which may have been the attraction!

Your location where you live is a long way from Tynemouth, Cullercoats and Whitley bay so there must have been a strong attraction. I was born and grew up there in the 40's/50's/60's and know it very well. I bet you don't know where the original Tynemouth station is. It is still there if you know where to look,only 150 yards from the present one. Not a lot of folk know where it is/was now.
Old 19th November 2021, 04:41 PM
Friend

http://disused-stations.org.uk/t/tyn...st/index.shtml
Old 19th November 2021, 06:33 PM
Friend

I have not seen the maps uploaded but attached is an extract from a 25" to a mile Ord Survey from 1898. In red I have highlighted parts that are relevant
A. The location of the present Tynemouth Metro station. Previously owned operated by the Blythe and Tyne, Ne Railway, LNER Railway, BR and now Network Rail

B. A working engineering yard connected by a spur from the 1st Tynemouth Station. This was for masonry work connected with the building of the North Pier that protects the mouth of the Tyne. This was lifted in the late 1950's and the link remained to the old station.

C. Is the spur that linked onto the original Blyth and Tyne Rly that took the line to Whitley Bay and beyond eventually connecting up with Newcastle. This was built on the track bed of an old colliery wagonway to the north. This wagonway also went to the south along a path known as Rope Walk on the map. Stone abutments can be seen where it went down the hill towards the Tyne.

D. These are the old coal drops shown in one of the images in the previous post

E. Is the site of the Rope hauled wagon way which would have connected with the old wagonway mentioned in 'C' as above. The old coal drops to Keel boats is still in place just to the west of the Fish quay on the Tyne

I am old enough to remember parts of the old station still intact and the lines used as Carriage sidings in 1950's and having grown up there I know it very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tynemouth Stations.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	4275  

Last edited by John King; 19th November 2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 19th November 2021, 07:06 PM
Friend

Question for Rob Archer on UK railway safety.

Hello Rob.
I see you have railway experience.
My work occasionally took me on the tracks and platforms, offices and concourses of a few stations.
The site safety inductions always insisted on us using orange high viz jackets when on the tracks or platforms.
The reason being yellow hi viz could be mistaken for green GO signals, and cause an accident.

If this is the case why do UK transport police wear yellow high viz on both platforms and tracks?

Rail staff and police have never been able to answer my simple question.

Cheers.
Old 19th November 2021, 09:53 PM
Friend

Default Yellow Hi Vis

BTP, used to wear orange like all other staff working on the stations etc, however since I think about 2003/4, that was decreed unnecessary because on most occasions when they went on the lines it was usually when there was a block in force. Usually fatal's or otherwise, colloquially as a 'One under', or crashes etc, and if there was an other emergency a radio call was all that was usually required to bring the whole shebang to a grinding shuddering stop.

If there was any other time when they had to go onto the line there were other required arrangements in hand to cover this, so they reverted to the lemon yellow Hi Viz used by all other police forces. This would also be about the time BTP's semi-limiting jurisdiction changed to encompass the same jurisdiction as Council Bobby! AKA a county force.

Call it inside knowledge!

Last edited by John King; 19th November 2021 at 10:14 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies