Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2012, 01:10 PM
Friend

Default Portraiture - which camera to use?

I may have a chance to shoot some portaits coming up soon - not something I've had much real experience of being more of a landscape fan. I'd like to use film (of course!) But which camera and film and speed?

I've got a 35mm Canon EOS3 with 50mm f/2.5 and 100mm f/2.8 lenses, or a Bronica 645 with 75mm f/2.8 or 75mm+2x extender (f/5.6). I was thinking of using FP4 + Perceptol - but willing to try another film/developer combination. I'm after a fine-grain/delicate rather than gritty effect, enlarged to fit 10x8 or possibly larger.

Any suggestions?
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:10 PM
Friend

I can spell Portraiture really!!!
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I can spell Portraiture really!!!
You did now
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:53 PM
Friend

This sort of choice is a personal thing, I think.
Irving Penn did some amazing portraits with a Rolleiflex loaded with TriX, developed in D76. ("Small Trades" and "Worlds in a small room" series) So I don't think you need to get too worried about cameras and film/developer combinations.

Alan
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:36 PM
Friend

The 100mm lens on the Canon is a classic set up for 35mm portraiture. The film you mention is very high quality, and although I haven't personally used Perceptol, I believe it is what Ilford reccomend for for fine grain results. It does, however, lead to a lower effective film speed, and slower shutter speeds. You need to be careful if using natural light to avoid movement. I don't really get on with 50mm lenses on 35 mm cameras, so it would not be my choice, unless you are doing full length shots. The same goes for the 75 on the Bronica. I would try it with the 2x, but again you would need to be careful in natural light as the reduced aperture would also cause slower shutter speeds. The answer in medium format would be a 400 film like HP5+. If you only go to 8x10, the results would have fine grain even with a standard developer.
Regards, Alex.
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:56 PM
Friend

If you really want fine grain and if it was my choice with the kit you have I would use the Bronica 645, but I would use Pan F+ and keep to Perceptol, if you want that degree of enlargement. The 120 format size being between two and three times larger than 35mm, grain should not be a problem. That would be a good place to start, but like yourself I prefer landscapes and buildings.
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:14 PM
Friend

I say use the bronica. being 6x4.5 it has the classic 4:3 aspect ratio for portriature (unless subject is lying down) and the neg size for a 10x8 means that grain won't be an issue regardless of which film you use.

I would suggest FP4 or HP5 developed in PMK for beatutifully smooth gradation. On VC paper you may need to use much higher print grades than you expect unless you have calibrated dev with PMK for VC paper. Most of the PMK quoted times are for graded paper as far as I can tell. Graded paper will give much better local contrast of fine detail with PMK than VC will but this is overcome if you calibrate dev for VC paper.
But if you do that negs become extremely difficult to print on graded paper.
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:45 PM
Friend

The choice of lens will depend on whether you are after head shots or the inclusion of more of the environment. I am working on a project at the moment photographing subjects in their environment and I use a 75mm lens on a Pentax 67. Sometimes I will opt for the 90 or 105, rarely do I go to the 165 because of the way I am working. I have also had to hand hold down to 30th at f4 and sometimes the subject movement is shown at these settings. Sometimes there is no room to set up the tripod!

With regard to film, I have been using Kodak TMax 400 developed 1 + 1 rating the film at 400. You can underexpose by a stop without any problem. I have found that the higher speed film is necessary when working just with available light. Using the medium format has meant no loss in quality when printed 12 x 9.5. My normal film for other work is FP4 developed in ID11 1+3.

I hope this may help you make a decision.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:20 PM
Friend

I've used my Bronica 645 + 75mm lens for portraiture, but more recently a Mamiya 7 + 80mm lens. My preferred film is T-Max 400 developed in PMK pyro, great combination, very smooth tones and fine grain. The faster film gives you that extra shutter speed for the spontaneity of hand held shooting if that's you thing?
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:07 PM
Friend

I would go with the Bronica, I also recently shot dome protraits, using both my Bronica Etr with the 75mm lens, also used my Rolleiflex, and up to 9 1/2 by 12 I would be inclined to use a faster film, developed in D76.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies