Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2012, 05:45 PM
Friend

all I would do is use a slower film a tripod cable release and get your sitter to keep still.. camera and lens wise use every thing you've got
this will help you decide what you like to use in the future ............
good luck with it, I hope it go,s well, let use know ...........
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:35 PM
Friend

Thanks for the encouraging response. So, the advice seems to be overwelmingly to go with the 645. I anticipate both some flash and studio lighting so film speed shouldn't be too much of a problem. I also would like to get more of the models in the picture depending upon how much space there is. PMK developer seems to be recommended by a few. I've never used that developer. Any suggestions where I can buy it, or advice on developing FP4 or HP5+ in it?

Thanks very much
Adrian
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:53 PM
Friend

silverprint do not list anymore. Don't know why not. Fortunately Nova are now importing it from Photographers formulary in the US so you can get it from

http://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/P...ulary-PMK-Pyro
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:16 AM
Friend

I give HP5 11 minutes at 21C in PMK. Agitation, continuous for the first 30 seconds then 10 seconds agitation every 1/2 minute. Negatives a little on the soft side (personal preference). If you go with this developer you may wish to try 12 minutes at 21C.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:40 AM
Friend

neg scan example 4x5 HP5 developed in PMK. I forget times but I think it was 12 minutes.

The Twins from Hell.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:04 PM
Friend

What a fabulous picture! I love the tonality - and the twins from hell - I hope they realise how lucky they are to have their photo taken with a 5x4 camera Did you use any flash?
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
What a fabulous picture! I love the tonality - and the twins from hell - I hope they realise how lucky they are to have their photo taken with a 5x4 camera Did you use any flash?
yes I used flash but it was the first time I ever used it and wasn't happy with the lighting. But the print quality from hp5 + PMK was very very good.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:53 PM
Friend

Personally I prefer a longer lens and move back a bit. The image below was shot with a 360mm Apo-Ronar lens at f11 on 5x7 using Arista Edu 100 film (Fomapan 100). This lens gives a similar AOV on 5x7 as a 75mm would be on 35mm or 105mm on 6x4.5.

Lucus 2nd 5x7 by Ed Bray, on Flickr
Old 23rd November 2012, 05:54 PM
Friend

There's one of Trevors at following link. Not sure if that was PMK but hopefully he'll chip in with info.

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=art&rNo=1
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
There's one of Trevors at following link. Not sure if that was PMK but hopefully he'll chip in with info.

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...role=art&rNo=1
That print was from an 8x10 HP5 negative developed in Rodinal 1:25. I tend to process my 5x7 and 8x10 negatives in Rodinal as it allows me to make platinum/palladium prints more easily than pyro developed negatives. The pyro stain does inhibit the UV printing lights I use making exposure times particularly lengthy. However all 4x5 and roll films are processed in PMK pyro which I particularly favour for projection printing.

FWIW the contact print of Liz Roberts was made on Lodima grade 3 processed in Kodak D165 dil. 1:3 which gave me about a grade 2.5 and lighly selenium toned.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies