Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th September 2013, 09:16 AM
Friend

I contact my Negs for filing.

Unlike some, I have difficulty reading Negs and only when I see a positive do I know where I stand with the image.

I then enlarge the odd one or two that made the cut.

As for 5x4 Enlargers - they are large but not huge as well as being reasonably affordable - although you might have to travel long distances to get it.

I managed to fit my DeVere 504 into the back of a Polo with the back seats dropped down.

You need to make a decision as to how you wish to progress from here - do you want to eventually enlarge them, scan them or print them using an alternative process - because as others have touched on further up the post - it makes a difference as to how soft or hard you need to develop your Negs.

Martin
Old 5th September 2013, 10:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
What do you usually do with your 5'x4' shots? Do you make contacts, enlargements or do you scan them?
Miha, I mostly enlarge them but occasionally I do make contact prints from them for I liken them to little jewels or gems. They have a wonderful intimacy about them. Their presence can be huge!

I've attached a triptych of 5x4 platinum/palladium prints from the series "Roads". They are mounted 20" x 16".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roads Pd.Pt.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1879  
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 5th September 2013, 01:21 PM
Friend

Hi Trevor, very nice to see you back after a break; I have started to miss your wise postings

As for the contacts, it's exactly the intimacy I love about them, yes they are small, but often demand more time to be explored than enlargments.

p.s. I love the triptych!
Old 5th September 2013, 04:41 PM
Friend

Thanks Miha.

After seeing some of Edward Weston's small 5x4 contact prints it simply confirmed their intricate beauty and delight
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 8th September 2013, 09:34 PM
Friend

Just spotted your post. I thought we had lost you for good Trevor. Always worrying when we lose a stalwart. Good to know that in your case we haven't

Mike
Old 9th September 2013, 07:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just spotted your post. I thought we had lost you for good Trevor. Always worrying when we lose a stalwart. Good to know that in your case we haven't

Mike
Hate to say me too . . . but me too.
Been trekking in Outer Mongolia then Trevor?
Old 9th September 2013, 10:10 AM
Friend

Fantastic triptych Trevor!

As for my 4x5 negs - when I used 4x5 I did not have an enlarger and only a bathroom darkroom so getting one was not to be easy. I made standard and cyanotype / vandyke contact prints - but in the end, I did went for the 5x7 (and recently 8x10) - which generally look better as contact prints. But I have to say, seeing some of those 4x5 contacts I start really thinking about getting a reduction back to be able to use 4x5 again... (I admit I have even cropped a 5x7 neg to approx. 4x5 print size a couple of times. )
Old 9th September 2013, 06:37 PM
Friend

Thank you all - just having a breather

Andreios - in all honesty 5x7 is my favourite format. I believe if I was to start afresh, I would shoot with just 5x7. I have a 5x7 reducing back for my 8x10 but its all rather bulky. A proper 5x7 camera would be ideal

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 10th September 2013, 01:38 PM
Friend

I have to agree with Trevor, 5x7 is a lovely format and my Canham MQC is not much bigger than a 4x5 View Camera.

It is just such a pity that many films are not availablein 5x7, although now I have a pair of true 950nm IR goggles it will not take much effort to cut some of the more exotic films down from 8x10.
Old 10th September 2013, 04:39 PM
Friend

I'm waiting for the chance to have a dedicated place for a 5x4 enlarger... in the meanwhile, I only have the contact print option.

IMHO, 5x4 is a size from which you can get pretty nice contact prints to show to your family and friends.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies