Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th April 2015, 11:42 AM
Friend

Default Blogging - any recommended hostings or sites?

Hi all,

as one of my last projects at Uni, over the next few months we are expected to start / write a blog.

Never one to write a diary all these years, I'm not really sure where to start...

So, initially, can anyone point me in the direction of a blog hoster / template that is easy to use please?

Also, any good blogs out there that are worth reading (photography wise) that might also give me a few tips.

Many thanks in advance.

Terry S
Old 6th April 2015, 12:14 PM
Friend

Google offer blog hosting via blogspot.com - Not a recommendation, just one I know about.

While you are looking, something that will be worth a read: http://www.out-law.com/page-7841 - If you allow comments, it is as well to be aware of UK law should anything contentious be posted.
Old 6th April 2015, 12:42 PM
Friend

I use Google, blogspot.com, good templates and easy tom get along with
Richard
Old 6th April 2015, 12:56 PM
Friend

Blogspot by Google is probably the easiest to start with.
Tumblr seems to be the photographers choice these days - handles text and images well and easily customised.

Tony
Old 6th April 2015, 01:00 PM
Friend

As to photography blogs - one that has been around a fair time is Stan B's at:
http://reciprocity-failure.blogspot.co.uk/ - if you look down the right hand side on his blog you'll find links to all the photography blogs there are around.

Tony
Old 6th April 2015, 03:12 PM
Friend

there is quite a choice and the main suspects have already been mentioned.

But have you considered the following:

Are you intending to have your own website when you leave college?

Why not buy your own domain name now. They are very cheap and also buy some web hosting. The two together should be less than £60 a year so around £1 a week for good quality hosting. That gives you the option to do whatever you want and there is a host of free software out there.

for example, Wordpress which is free and is really easy to install. Infact most webhosts provide an auto install feature for it.
With Wordpress you will have access to the widest range of templates and a vast array of plugins for photo albums etc. And you can use its blogging features but also use it as your website all under your very own domain name. Its very mature and has a very large user community.

But on the other hand, if you're not ready for that then what the others have suggested.

p.s. install of wordpress is a two minute job. Well maybe longer if you haven't done it before and need to read up on anything.

p.p.s I recommend Zen Internet for web hosting. and also if you do go down this route get a domain name which ends in .co.uk

p.p.p.s And remember that putting your images into sites like tumblr and flickr etc gives them rights to use your images

Last edited by Argentum; 6th April 2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 6th April 2015, 03:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
... if you look down the right hand side on his blog you'll find links to all the photography blogs there are around.
"all" ??
Old 6th April 2015, 03:36 PM
Friend

Another vote for Google...

richard
Old 6th April 2015, 03:38 PM
Friend

As one who has fiddled about with websites and is a WordPress user may I add a couple of points.

WordPress comes in two versions: WordPress.com is intended for Bloggers and you can set up a free site, with some limitations, using it.
The version that I use, which is much more versatile is WordPress.org and it is this version that you will get if you register and use your own domain.
I have used a quite a few hosting companies over the years and currently use Zyma at www.zyma.com they have an offer of £1.79 a month with free domain and all the facilities and software you could possibly want.
Old 6th April 2015, 03:48 PM
Friend

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far peoples.

Google seems to be getting the most thumbs up and if it's both free and easy to use, it may be the one for me to go with.

I will check it and any others suggested out first though and see what appeals to me.

Keep any other suggestions coming though please.

Terry S

Tags
blog, blogging, blogs
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies