Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th November 2020, 03:58 PM
Friend

Default Ensign Aotorange 16-20 Repair

Click image for larger version

Name:	ENSIGN 16-20.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	3906

Name:	ENSIGN 16-20 B.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	3907

Name:	ENSIGN 16-20 C.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	3908

Name:	ENSIGN 16-20 D.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	3909

Name:	ENSIGN 16-20 E.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	3910

I have an old Ensign Autorange 16-20, Rangefinder Camera.
There was a fair bit of dust in the lens and the slow shutter speeds are definitely slow.
The main body of the lens dismantles happily but I have got to the stage when I think I need to remove the rangefinder arm and second lens from the front.
There are no obvious screwheads on either the front or reverse.
Does anybody have any experience with dismantling one of these cameras with the Epsilon shutter. I need to clean and lubricate the shutter mechanism.
I have tried removing the second front lens using some bicycle inner tube glued onto the end of a fat dowel, but refuses to budge.

If I cannot gain access to the mechanism I think it will be a job for a professional with a hefty bill at the end.

Cheers .
Old 15th November 2020, 12:38 PM
Friend

You need to soak the threads at the base of the lens with a solvent, just a few drops, the thread grease sets like glue. I cleaned a lens similar to this on an old folder, because I was not too bothered if I messed it up I used a pair of gland pliers to free the front lens. The knack is to squeeze just enough to undo the lens not enough to break it. I cleaned all the gear trains with alcohol this dried them out and left them all too slow. So I tried watch oil, this leaked onto the shutter blades. Cleaned and tried watch oil again just the tiniest drop on the end of a paper clip. Left the shutter for a week, success the shutter and self timer work great! Them I taped a piece of grease proof paper on the back of the camera and looked through an slr to set the lens to infinity. Gogle setting a lens to infinity, you will find something. Good luck, please do not curse me if you attempt to remove the lens with gland pliers and you bust the glass, patience and soaking the threads is key!
Old 15th November 2020, 08:43 PM
Friend

I had a problem with an Ensign Autorange that you can read about below. It might be of some help to you.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/cla...tml?1378240457

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st November 2020, 01:38 PM
Friend

GoodOldNorm and Brock

Thankyou for the information.
I am a bit slow in responding as I had to put the camera back together quickly and pack stuff away because I had forgotten about a decorating promise.

Now that is finished and out of the way I am free to tinker as much as I want.

What solvent worked for you both ? I tried lighter petrol, but nothing budged.

In my arsenal I have white spirit, methylated spirits, toluene and even a bit of xylene, dodgy stuff I know.
I am a bit wary of stripping the paint and the mounting.

Interesting article Brock.
Am I correct in thinking that if I manage to unscrew the lens just in front of the diaphragm, the rangefinder arm and speed indicator dial will just lift off as one piece? No other screws etc.
It is a bit of a puzzle to me, getting the arm off.

Do I unscrew the lens in the centre using a rubber bung, or is the aluminium centre tube unscrewed.
I think it should be the lens.

Cheers and Thanks to you both.
Old 21st November 2020, 03:00 PM
Friend

Wd40, lighter fluid or PlusGas , warm the lens with a hair dryer put it onto some kitchen towel on a hot radiator and drip a a little solvent around the threads and leave it to soak . It may take several doses to soak the dry grease. Gripping the lens with a piece of sheet rubber or a rubber cup used for opening jam jars works for me, gland pliers are a last resort.
Old 22nd November 2020, 04:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
GoodOldNorm and Brock

Thankyou for the information.
I am a bit slow in responding as I had to put the camera back together quickly and pack stuff away because I had forgotten about a decorating promise.

Now that is finished and out of the way I am free to tinker as much as I want.

What solvent worked for you both ? I tried lighter petrol, but nothing budged.

In my arsenal I have white spirit, methylated spirits, toluene and even a bit of xylene, dodgy stuff I know.
I am a bit wary of stripping the paint and the mounting.

Interesting article Brock.
Am I correct in thinking that if I manage to unscrew the lens just in front of the diaphragm, the rangefinder arm and speed indicator dial will just lift off as one piece? No other screws etc.
It is a bit of a puzzle to me, getting the arm off.

Do I unscrew the lens in the centre using a rubber bung, or is the aluminium centre tube unscrewed.
I think it should be the lens.

Cheers and Thanks to you both.
It was a while ago I tackled it but I think it was isopropyl alcohol I used. As Norm says, apply a solvent and give it some time. I don't remember the rangefinder arm being difficult to remove so I think removing the lens would do the trick. My biggest problem turned out to be three tiny grub screws holding the focusing scale in place. I removed them and left them on my desk over night. My better half appears to have given the desk the once over with a damp cloth and whisked away the grub screws! She denies it, of course. Haha. I managed to fix the shutter and clean all the glass but I can't put it all back together. I think I'll send it to Miles Whitehead and let him sort it out.
Old 22nd November 2020, 04:31 PM
Friend

Just re-read the article I posted about and it WD40 I used.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies