Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2022, 11:46 AM
Friend

Default Notching film edges.

I going to try a quick test of shutter speeds and apertures on three cameras that have not been used for many years.
Just my usual run of apertures with corresponding shutter speeds.

To save time and film I am going to use one film and after the first run of about seven shots open the camera back in the darkroom then notch the edge of the film next to the cassette, rewind and then load into the next camera. I will then wind on in the dark until I come to the notch on the edge of the film. Take the next set of shots, and repeat for the third camera.

The problem was notching the edge of the film without cutting through the sprocket holes of the film.

A quick mess around with a paper punch, a piece of card thick enough to wedge solidly into the punch and a bit of practice in the daylight.

Mark the card and punch with a black line to allow alignment after cutting the diagonal.

I have a single hole punch some place but as usual cannot find it when I want it. Would'v been so much easier and tidier.

I hope this gives others food for thought.

See the pictures to get the idea.

Cheers.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1661427802
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1661427802
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole punch 3.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	4470   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole punch 2.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	4471   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole punch.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	4472  
Old 25th August 2022, 12:18 PM
Friend

It looks a good idea Nat. My only concern, assuming I have understood exactly what you do is: How in the total darkness do you align the black line on the cardboard with the black line of the 2 hole punch or am I over-complicating matters?

Thanks

Mike
Old 25th August 2022, 01:54 PM
Friend

Hello Mike.

"a piece of card thick enough to wedge in the punch"

In daylight I cut the rectangle from card that is thick enough to wedge itself securely in the gap of the paper punch. I actually used the thick card back of a shorthand notebook.

Punch the holes in the card, and before removing draw a registration line from the punch body onto the card.

Remove the card and cut the diagonal to just leave enough to nip the edge of the film.

Replace the card and line it up with the previously drawn line on the punch body. Small black lines in my photos.

Off with the light once the gadget is made, and punch away to your hearts content.

Now when the film is placed into the punch on the diagonal corner it can be punched just enough to find in the dark, but not enough to damage the feed sprockets of the 35mm film.

A one hole punch would be simpler to adapt and use but I cannot find mine.

Cheers.
Old 25th August 2022, 09:15 PM
Friend

Thanks Nat

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies