Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st February 2012, 11:47 AM
Friend

Default rotary 135 development

hello, I would like to develop films in tanks using a constant, rotary movement rather than intermittent inversions (as I do now). I believe advantages are better soup economy and shorter dev. times. My tanks are Jobo and Paterson.
Can anybody help me with:
1. am I right in assuming the above advantages, and are there drawbacks I don't know about?
2. what equipment can I get to make the tanks roll correctly, automatically?
I mostly use Delta 100 and 400, and some FP4 and HP5. Developers are ID11, Prescysol but overwhelmingly XTOL.
thank you in advance
Peter
Old 21st February 2012, 03:44 PM
Friend

Hi Peter. Yes with rotary processing you can get away with only 140mls of developer. Times are reduced by between 15-20% according to Ilford but Kodak's specs for Xtol state the same time and if you pre-soak then John Tinsley recommends using standard inversion times.

Some developers are not suited to rotary processing. Of the three you use ID11 and Xtol are fine. I don't know about Prescysol.

I don't know how you make a Paterson tank rotate but the Jobo tanks need a CPE, CPP processor.

It might be possible to get a hand cranked roller for Paterson but I don't know.

Overall in my opinion the only major advantage to rotary processing is the chemical savings but if you dilute the developer you need to check the minimum quantity. Xtol needs 100mls stock so if you use 1+1 then with inversion that 125 mls stock and with rotary that's still 100 mls stock and using 200mls of liquid so only a very small saving.

There has recently been a thread on rotary processing. Have a look at it. Some worthwhile stuff there

Mike
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:27 AM
Friend

thanks Mike,
you are right I could have posted this on the recent thread on rotary development. I searched and read about this subject also on several previous threads - all very useful information.
My other question concerned the equipment available. Having googled and roamed the net I haven't seen much else than Jobo stuff. I wondered if somebody could give me a hint at where to find some alternatives.
Peter
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:59 AM
Friend

Not quite what you are looking for; but every home should have one.

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...processor.html
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:22 PM
Friend

That's quite a machine, Dave. Certainly one to have if you were a commercial/wedding photographer.

Mike
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:52 PM
Friend

Wauw, that's the thing, Dave! I might get one of those - and it could also shake my cocktails!

Peter
Old 23rd February 2012, 03:42 AM
Friend

This is a good opportunity to show off the DIY film developer gadgets I made for myself.

The first one rolls the drum in the same fashion as a Jobo, at 30rpm, reversing direction every 10 seconds. It takes standard Paterson tank and can accept up to the three-reel size. The motor is 12v DC from ebay, and the timer is from a kit marketed (in Australia) by Jaycar.

The second one tumbles the drum end-over-end (similar to the TAS linked above by Dave) at 4rpm, and comes to rest with the tank vertical. It doesn't change direction. I built this one for semi-stand development.

In use, I prefer the first one, and find it gives me good results with my preferred ID-11 1+3 dilution for 20 minutes at 20 C with both HP5 and TRI-X.

Cheers!

Last edited by ChrisN; 23rd February 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:25 AM
Friend

I dont understand the point, you dare not walk away from it just incase you forget to get back in time,so why your there you might as well do it the old fashion way .if its the way you like to do it good luck,but with my brain I would soon forget
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
Wauw, that's the thing, Dave! I might get one of those - and it could also shake my cocktails!

Peter
We are on the same wavelength Peter.
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:54 AM
Friend

Chris, an interesting exercise which should give very consistent results. I've made a comment against your gallery picture before seeing this entry.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies