Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th August 2011, 05:26 PM
Friend

Default Chemical queries

I'm nearly ready to go with my dark room now but just a couple of questions left!

I have no chemicals yet and I could do with knowing what the best value chemicals would be for me, as I am only doing it as a hobby. They don't need to be the best and most expensive.

Another question I have is which chemicals will double up for both film and prints? I have heard that some will work for both. Also, does this apply to fix and stop as well as developers?

Any info would be appreciated! Thank you.
Old 16th August 2011, 05:57 PM
Friend

In terms of film developers Xtol works out cheaply. It is a powder dev which makes 5L of stock. I'd mix it then store in winebags.

Stop and fix will work for both film and paper but generally I'd use dedicated paper developer. Ilford MG dev is very good but there are others equally good.

Mike
Old 16th August 2011, 05:57 PM
Friend

Fix and stop can be used for films and papers but it is best to keep separate mixed solutions for each process. See the manufactures recommendations for fixer as they vary for films and papers. You can omit the stop bath and just use plain water ( I do this for films). There are universal developers but I would not recommend them if you are looking for good quality from a negative. A good quality and economical film developer is Rodinal used at 1+50 and for papers Neutol NE – especially if used at 1+14 .
Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th August 2011, 07:01 PM
Friend

Fix for film is a different strengh to fix for paper. see fix instructions. you should not use the same fix for paper that you use for film.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:27 PM
Friend

Take a look at the Champion range of chemicals at http://firstcall-photographic.co.ukthey are very good quality, I have used them myself, Promicrol film developer, at 1/14 goes a long way, and the amfix and stop bath are the cheapest I know of for Quality chemicals,
Richard
Old 17th August 2011, 12:09 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone I'll have a look!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies