Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th August 2011, 09:00 PM
Friend

Default What triggered your interest in photography?

Do you know what triggered your interest in photography? I can remember my grandfather taking a picture of us in his garden with a box brownie when I was about 5 years old and thinking what is that box and how does it work. Do others have a recollection of what started their interest?
Old 19th August 2011, 09:18 PM
Friend

I used to look through a shoebox of family photographs, most taken by my Dad who had printed them in the shed in the yard. I thought they were great. Despite selling all his kit when we moved he still took the odd photograph when he bought a Polaroid camera.
After he died when I was 11 I found his photographs gave me a connection with him. I was often told how he wanted to be a professional but family commitments had made that imposible, and as I got older I thought I would give it a try and quickly got hooked the rest as they say is history.

Neil

Last edited by Neil Smith; 19th August 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 19th August 2011, 10:00 PM
Friend

Seeing a book of photographs by Bill Brandt did it for me. There was one picture in particular,of a bird's nest with eggs, and - I think- a dark sky that just had everything....and I thought "I've just got to have a go at this"

Alan
Old 19th August 2011, 10:04 PM
Friend

My mother
From when i was a baby (and before) to up now, my mother would take
loads of photos of us growing up, from having a box brownie, 110, 35mm compacts right up to her now owning 2 x nikon f65 cameras with a nikon zoom and a 50mm nikon af lens (not bad for a 67 yr old).
I laugh at the state of the clothes i wore as a kid (flares, flyway collars)
but it was a recording of a split second in time and is an indication of the saying "get it before it`s gone".
paddy
Old 19th August 2011, 10:12 PM
Friend

Oh i forgot to mention
I recently found some B+W negs in my mothers house from her box
brownie years (60`s), some of the negs are starting to go a silvery colour
and have dust spots on them, but i will have a go at printing them in the future and see how they turn out
paddy
Old 20th August 2011, 06:29 AM
Friend

Newspaper pictures. When I was a kid I'd cut out and keep dramatic shots.
Old 20th August 2011, 06:57 AM
Friend

Watching an Uncle Taking photos with an old folding kodak camera and then helping him in his darkroom developing the films and printing the negatives
Richard
Old 20th August 2011, 07:11 AM
Friend

My Dad and his Box Brownie and then Instamatic . . each photo was an event! And if I was really lucky he'd let me take a few pictures - D&P was expensive stuff
But it wasn't until I went to art college in Dundee and signed up for photography as part of my graphics course, that I came to realise how much I loved it. I didn't realise quite how much until I was tutored by Joseph McKenzie, a great photographer and person.
What these two guys sowed is still bearing fruit!
Phil
Old 20th August 2011, 08:12 AM
Friend

A book on photography I read when I was 14 made me persuade my father to get me a second-hand SLR Yashica and an enlarger a couple of years later.
Old 20th August 2011, 09:28 AM
Friend

must have been eight or nine when I got my flirst Kodak box. I'd made a roll or two when my grandfather came around one day with a 6 x 9 copying frame he had used himself - that got me going. The magic of contact printinng was the start. Then somebody lifted my box while traveling on a train and I had to wait several years until I got the next camera
In the meantime, however, I was allowed to practice with my father's Leica, probably a II from 36/7. At fourteen I got a Voigtlander Prominent and soon after an enlarger (Liesegang) - I made some business by being the "official" photographer of my class. But that was the only time I was able to make money on photography.
peter
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies