Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th November 2013, 03:32 PM
Friend

Default WHY do we do it

why do you take photographs ,why do you get the compulsion to go out with a camera and photograph ,I was thinking today why have I got boxes and boxes of prints, and folders full of negatives I know that its a visual diary of parts of my life ,I also like cameras ,looking at them using them and in a small way collecting them and also working in the darkroom ,I think the collecting erg doesn't help either and I like to collect my images ,but documenting my life so I can look back and remember is my main goal ,its a personal thing that only I can do ,and I cannot see myself not doing it ...
so why do you do it ,what drives you to do it ..the only regret I have is not taking more photos ,the only bad side is that we make people immortal ,but we hide behind the camera and are soon forgotten....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 18th November 2013, 04:21 PM
Friend

Probably, we do it because we like it otherwise we would do something else And of course we do it as a hobby to escape the pressures of work/life and to get creative. I have been doing it since the late 50s and I can't see myself doing anything else now

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th November 2013, 04:43 PM
Friend

This is an interesting question for me I have been taking photographs since I found my father's brownie 127 in a cupboard when I was 12-13yrs from there it was a very casual relationship with the object being to record an event and then learning from the results that the camera sees all and not just what I want it to see.
Like many I moved away from film to this new process of digital photography and began to take my photography interest much more seriously
I sold up my digital equipment early this year as I realised that film photography isn't about recording an image. Ansel Adams said "You don't take a picture your create a picture" and for me that is the process of using film.
The combination of chemicals on the film, the machine to expose the film and record an image and then the chemical process of revealing the image and transferring it to paper. Every step has my influence from choice of film to exposure of the film and finally the developing and printing to my desired result.
Where else can you get the expectation and excitement of revealing your creation for all to see.

Erik
Old 18th November 2013, 04:50 PM
Friend

It's a compulsion I've had since I was 8 years old... to communicate, to create. It's a wonderful mix of the arts and the sciences that 'floats my boat'.... and of course, I still like playing with toys.
Old 18th November 2013, 05:28 PM
Friend

Because I don't always have the time to do a painting!
Old 18th November 2013, 07:45 PM
Friend

I started taking photographs as a young trainspotter in the 1970s, just as a record of what I'd seen. Gradually the photography became more interesting (or perhaps trains got less interesting!). I suppose I'm trying to recreate and preserve memories. For me, a successful print is one that sparks the same emotional response to the subject that I had when I first noticed it. OTOH, I think Neil's right when he says we do it because we like it!
Old 18th November 2013, 08:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Because I don't always have the time to do a painting!
Because I haven't got the ability to paint.

Tony
Old 18th November 2013, 08:49 PM
Friend

I can barely draw stick men, but I can turn out a print that gives me pleasure. A few have even been known to give others pleasure.
Old 18th November 2013, 10:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Because I haven't got the ability to paint.

Tony
Very few who paint actually have much ability and likewise very few who take photographs have much ability either however that hasn't stopped millions both painters and photographers having a go at scratching an itch that once it surfaces never really goes away. Process is really important for me but in reality I've been addicted since I was 8 seeing the first print come to life in the developer. I can relate to every reason given to photograph things. For me the process is very important -film and darkroom- if digital was the only option I would immediately paint, no matter how badly

Photography is mechanical, i love the equipment and hands on aspect but it is definitely an expressive art form in its many forms. You don't have to be good to enjoy it, ultimately I do it for myself. And I have to do it most days.
Old 18th November 2013, 10:29 PM
Friend

Default Why?

Many reasons. The art factor coupled with a bit of chemistry in my own laboratory (Darkroom of course) Intrigue, will it or won't it work? If it does pints all round, if it doesn't - ah well try again!

You never get tired of it which is why after I almost went fully digital I decided that it really wasn't for me and went back to real photography

Like a lot of people I have never managed to get over the pleasure of seeing a good print with a full range of tones still dripping wet which is good enough to exhibit or frame to be hung on the walls inside the house.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies