Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd January 2013, 04:07 PM
Friend

Default new years resolution

well come on did any of you make a new years resolution,,s..
I have made three one of them is to to stop the trouble and strife bending me lughole and that is to loose some weight, ergo big Paul, I am also tall so Therese a lot of me.. the second one is to set up a website and put my life's work or as much as I can on the net its nothing spectacular but there's a lot of people and places from the 70s to now to keep a lot of people reminiscing if there still alive.
and the third is to put some thought in to my photography and plan ahead .
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:55 PM
Friend

you may want to have a look at

http://www.clikpic.com/

several people here use them I think. Will save you a lot of money and time by using a setup like this. There are free options elsewhere but not as good. There is also tumblr and various others but clikpic is uk based. Unless you really know what you are doing I would stay away from the idea of building your own. Its a lot more time and effort than people think and your first attempt is always less than optimal.

Oh, I made my last new years resolution several years ago and have stuck to it rigidly. It was to not make anymore new year resolutions.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:37 AM
Friend

Hi Paul
I agree with Argentum on both counts, first I have just set up a web site with Clikpic and it is an easy and satisfying experience and although I have released it live online now I haven't yet released it to search engines as I am still adding to it. Second I also no longer make new year resolutions as I was never able to keep them.
Have a good year.
Richard
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:42 AM
Friend

I have been a happy ClikPic user for three years now and one of my NY resolutions is to revise our web site - which I have just started doing Another NY resolution is to make a start a LF alternative process project I have had in mind for a while - I have a few ideas for that one but I do need to make a start otherwise there will be some slippage

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th January 2013, 01:46 PM
Friend

may I ask if you get many sales of prints through your site Neil?
Most people I've asked this question of seem to only get a tiny trickle of requests about prints which is a good reason for not spending a lot of money on website.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
may I ask if you get many sales of prints through your site Neil?
Most people I've asked this question of seem to only get a tiny trickle of requests about prints which is a good reason for not spending a lot of money on website.

Not that many TBH. However we are not dissapointed as we didn't expect there to be as we designed the site to show our work rather than to be a sales platform.

What we have been pleased about is the amount of hits we get and by the quality the many messages that get left.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th January 2013, 04:26 PM
Friend

I must agree that websites are almost a complete waist of time for print sales.

Who on earth would pay good money without seeing the actual print. A tiny jpeg on the Internet is no way to judge the quality of a fine print.

Many photographers websites I find quite portentous and only seem to be online for their own self-gratification.

Also IMO Internet images have had a big part in almost destroying the silver print, most people don't know what a fine print looks like.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 4th January 2013, 08:20 PM
Friend

the reason for doing a website for me is to share my photos with others
my images are mostly political demonstrations, union meetings strikes ..
I also have a lot of photos that I took at fairs, open air shows, concerts.and other outdoor events jousting at the tower of London .
these pictures show thousands and thousands of people ..
I have taken them from the 1970s up to present time, but a lot were taken between the 1970s to the 1980s ,so I would expect they would be of great interest to the people in them .and if I sold some from time to time all the better ..
nobody's going to give me a place to show them, so this is my way of showing of my work to others .
I think that most people that make things like others to see them .
and we are showing that film is still alive ,plus we can put links to fadu on them
Old 5th January 2013, 10:08 PM
Friend

Mine is to eat more cake. ;-)
Old 6th January 2013, 06:18 AM
Friend

Surely one of the reasons that we all take pictures is that we like to show our personal view of the world with others. Ok there may well be a thousand other reasons why we take pictures, everyone will have their own reasons, all of which are equally valid.

A web site as a platform for sharing must be a good option, as where else can you get such a "venue" that can be seen all over the world and is open twenty four hours a day seven days a week, and if I read it right, can cost as little as 80p a week.

Maybe it's just me but for people that you have never and will never meet to view your pictures and leave positive comments can only be good for everyone. They like what they see, you like what they say, a bit of a win, win really.

My new years resolution is simply to try to take more pictures and spend more time in the darkroom. Simple to say but perhaps not so simple to do. Time will tell.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies