Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2017, 07:49 PM
Friend

Default Foma Universal Developer and MG paper

I am about to restart printing after a 20 years stop. I was planning to start by spending as little as possible.

This seems a decent developer for paper:
http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Foma-U.../54526/V70050/

The only problem is that I cannot remember if MG paper can use just a basic developer, or need a MG developer. Can anyone advise me on this issue?

Absolute perfection is not an issue, at this stage. For a couple of months we shall mostly get to build a working darkroom and make some experience with what we have. So we need quantity and cheap.

Thanks
Berto
Old 24th April 2017, 08:27 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Berto. As you have mentioned Silverprint I assume you are located in the U.K. If so, I'd say that the chemical you mention is far from the cheapest, although it claims to be both a film and paper developer.

Certainly as a stock paper developer you only get 1 Litre of working solution for £3.20. whereas Ilford MG developer in 5L of liquid will give you 50 litres of working strength developer for a lot less than 50 times more expense.

I'd have a look at all of our sponsors sites and then decide what you believe to be the cheapest. All of their stock of paper developers will work just fine

Mike
Old 24th April 2017, 08:31 PM
Friend

Have a look at the website of Firstcall Photographic who are based near Taunton. Just Google the name to find their website. They do a selection of film and paper developers 'branded' which are relatively cheap. Some things are a bit pricy (film and paper) but the developers, stop baths and fixers with their name are fine and not to be sniffed at.
Old 24th April 2017, 08:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Welcome to FADU, Berto. As you have mentioned Silverprint I assume you are located in the U.K.
Correct, at least for a few more months we are here.

Quote:
All of their stock of paper developers will work just fine
Marvellous thank you! And yes, spending more is spending less in the long run. I will make my math now.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Firstcall Photographic who are based near Taunton.
Very interesting site, thanks!
Old 25th April 2017, 06:41 AM
Friend

Hi Berto and welcome to Fadu, I can reccomend Firstcall's own brand print developer, I have been using it myself for a couple of years now, and it works a treat, it is the cheapest around, very good value for money,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies