Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th May 2015, 03:43 PM
New User

Question Enlarger lens thread mount `length`?

Hi, I have just bought an old El-Nikkor 50/2.8 lens and discovered that it has a much shorter threaded `neck` compared to my old minolta e. rokkor lens. As a result, can't mount ilford filter holder on it. Is there any way to find out which lenses have shorter `necks`? I don't remember ever seeing this as part of specs in any lens-related discussion...
Old 15th May 2015, 12:18 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU, Leonila. I'd be surprised if there are lenses unless they are very ancient that have too short a thread to accept the Ilford filter holder on the basis that Ilford has to make its holder for all makes of enlarger and lenses

I don't know if the thread length of El Nikkor lenses has changed over the years but I have an El Nikkor 50 f2.8 which has to be at least 15 years old and it allows the Ilford filter holder to fit underneath it. I have a Durst M605

Hopefully others here will come up with solutions. I hope it is something that you may have overlooked.

A picture ( digi's fine for this purpose ) showing the lens, the enlarger and filter holder together as if about to be fitted might help

Mike
Old 15th May 2015, 12:37 PM
Friend

I assume you mean you can't fit the three legged thingy which the holder clips onto.

Ilford provide a second option for attaching the holder which is that there are three screws with rubber end caps which go through the top of the holder horizontally and grip the end of the lens. The 3 legged thingy becomes unecessary when using this option.

So in your Ilford under the lens kit you should have three screws for purpose. Do you have them?

Mike, Ilford have provided a second attachment method possibly knowing that not all lenses / lens panels (especially recessed ones) would work with the three legged thingy.
Old 15th May 2015, 02:44 PM
Friend

Yes, good point Argentum. Let's hope that is the answer

Mike

Tags
enlarger lens, thread mount
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies