Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd February 2010, 10:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Trevor,
I hope the suspenders are not in your darkroom - there could be a risk of too much static

Neil.
I no longer use them in the darkroom Neil, for that very reason
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:28 AM
Friend

Trevor,
An extra earthing rod may do the trick but best to not to take any unnecessary chances with bright sparks flying around with today's paper prices

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:08 AM
Friend

... I can tell you what my NEWEST thing is: just got my analyser pro from Richard! (Sorry about OT)...
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:14 AM
Friend

The oldest thing in my darkroom would probably be the De vere 54 with cold cathode head I picked up for £10 "buy it now" of the auction site . I really need to build a bench with a removable top so I can use it , as a 5 foot plus enlarger in a cellar with only 6 foot 2 of head room makes it a tad uncomfortable to use plus I'm not to sure how the blue light of the cathode head would be with VC papers .

Paul
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMarkey View Post
SNIP; I'm not to sure how the blue light of the cathode head would be with VC papers .

Paul
Paul, you'll probably find the blue light of the cathode head will produce quite contrasty prints on VC paper as they were designed for graded papers.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMarkey View Post
The oldest thing in my darkroom would probably be the De vere 54 with cold cathode head I picked up for £10 "buy it now" of the auction site . I really need to build a bench with a removable top so I can use it , as a 5 foot plus enlarger in a cellar with only 6 foot 2 of head room makes it a tad uncomfortable to use plus I'm not to sure how the blue light of the cathode head would be with VC papers .
Paul
Ilford/Harman have something to say about cold light heads in their Contrast Control PDF: (direct link to PDF)
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:58 PM
Friend

Up until Christmas it was an Einstall Mikroscop Express loupe which I inherited from my Aunt - made c 1910-ish. It was a great wee thing and incredibly sharp until it slipped from my clumsy fingers and cracked one element! I'm still sobbing about it.
So I guess the newest oldest thing I use would have to be my Beard easel which is the scabbiest most dog-eared thing I own, but it still operates straight, true and smoothly!
Phil
Old 23rd February 2010, 07:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Paul, you'll probably find the blue light of the cathode head will produce quite contrasty prints on VC paper as they were designed for graded papers.
Thanks Trevor , I thought that might be the case but nice to have it confirmed I may just get hold of some graded paper and give it a try .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Ilford/Harman have something to say about cold light heads in their Contrast Control PDF: (direct link to PDF)
Thanks for the link Bob , The pdf mentions using a 40Y filter to somewhat balance out the blue light . I will have to dig through the box of Kodak filters I acquired and see if there is one .

Paul
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:34 PM
Friend

The oldest thing in my darkroom? The enamel developing dish that I inherited from my Dad that he inherited from his Dad. I never knew my Grandfather as he died in 1940 so it's certainly quite a bit older than 1940. I've also got some printing out frames from around the same time.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:28 PM
Friend

The oldest thing I have purchase -A Blumfield masterprinter 4x5 enlarger (1966 I think). Older stuff from my father from the 50's (patterson universal tank).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies