Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2010, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico531 View Post
If I'd decided to go ahead I would indeed have indeed printed myself.
Optically or digitally?

Steve.
Old 28th June 2010, 04:12 PM
Friend

Optically of course. I may have had the proofs done at 5"x5" when I had the films processed, along with a C.D., but the album prints I would have done in my darkroom.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:42 PM
Friend

All the above.
The reason I don't shoot weddings, despite my friends saying how good I am and they'd love to give the work to me.
The casual snaps as a reception guest are a different story. In the past shooting them on colour film and paying for D+P was my wedding present. Now it's CDs of digital that I edit myself as a gift.
However the last one I did said if they'd known I had a darkroom they'd have paid me to shoot some of the day in B+W, the groom had done photography in his youth.

Paul
Old 18th July 2010, 05:11 PM
Friend

Location: Flint, North Wales but currently on assignment in Germany

I did 4 weddings on digital and-never again!
Apart from clients looking for the cheapest deal, often they look at the images and want them converted to B&W anyway. They say that they want 'timeless' images.
Needless to say that you work yourself into an early grave if you want to do the best for every customer.
If you want to make a living and develop your business you have to ask at least 4 figure fees in order to make a full-day wedding worth while.
I got sick and tired of spending my evenings on my Mac. That was my time with my wife and family!
I am not doing that one again!

If I get asked to cover a wedding, especially by friends and colleagues, I tell them to 'do one' and hire a professional!
Obviously I do that as politely as I can.
Old 18th July 2010, 08:15 PM
Friend

Just been the darkroom printing some proofs for a chum's snapping at a wedding. Apart from the negs being a bit dense [I didn't develop them] its a lot of work. A lot.
Old 19th July 2010, 06:43 AM
Friend

Some of you will know that I have a simple fixed fee for shooting weddings of a flat £250.000.00; considering I have held this fee for more than 30 years you must agree that it now represents excellent value.
That’s plus expenses of course. The client supplies their own film which I return to them after exposure so that they can take it to their favourite D&P.
Old 19th July 2010, 07:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Some of you will know that I have a simple fixed fee for shooting weddings of a flat £250.000.00; considering I have held this fee for more than 30 years you must agree that it now represents excellent value.
That’s plus expenses of course. The client supplies their own film which I return to them after exposure so that they can take it to their favourite D&P.
You undersold yourself

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th July 2010, 01:58 PM
Friend

When I done my son's wedding I used 35mm, Fuji reala film and sent them off to Club 35 in Ealing. I got mostly 7x5 prints and some selected enlargements. Even the 7x5s looked good with one to a page in the album. However, I would avoid wedding photography like the plague, can't stand the stress.

Tony
Old 19th July 2010, 02:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
When I done my son's wedding I used 35mm, Fuji reala film
My father always used Reala for weddings as apparently it was formulated to give realistic skin tones whilst keeping white wedding dresses white. I'm not sure how true this is but it did seem to work.

Steve.
Old 19th July 2010, 02:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
My father always used Reala for weddings as apparently it was formulated to give realistic skin tones whilst keeping white wedding dresses white. I'm not sure how true this is but it did seem to work.

Steve.
That's correct, or at least my understanding to.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies