Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2020, 07:10 PM
Friend

Default Do cameras bounce?

Well, in short, some do - yes. My daughter somehow knocked my Canon AE1 off a storage box on our landing, through the gap between bannister and stairs and it plunged twenty feet to the hall floor below. The filter glass is dust, almost literally, the filter ring buckled and is apparently now welded to the filter thread and the camera body has a few superficial scratches. I finished the roll of film that had been in it today and it functions flawlessly. Metering is fine (I checked it against a handheld meter), all the shutter speeds work fine, wind on is smooth etc etc.

Clearly these late 1970 cameras were built to last. Im pretty sure my modern digital camera would not have survived such a fall - although I’m not about to test my theory.

I’m also sure there are plenty of similar tales out there ...
Old 27th January 2020, 07:19 PM
Friend

When my daughter was younger, she wanted to "try" photography. Lent her my
old OM10. Later that day, watched it bounce down the grass slope at the side of a dam, guessing 150-200 yards travel. Other than a few bits of grass and mud, the mirror had latched at the half way position. It carried on working perfectly...
Put my old kodak bridge type camera down a little sharp and never worked again !..
Old 27th January 2020, 07:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
Well, in short, some do - yes. My daughter somehow knocked my Canon AE1 off a storage box on our landing, through the gap between bannister and stairs and it plunged twenty feet to the hall floor below. The filter glass is dust, almost literally, the filter ring buckled and is apparently now welded to the filter thread and the camera body has a few superficial scratches. I finished the roll of film that had been in it today and it functions flawlessly. Metering is fine (I checked it against a handheld meter), all the shutter speeds work fine, wind on is smooth etc etc.

Clearly these late 1970 cameras were built to last. Im pretty sure my modern digital camera would not have survived such a fall - although I’m not about to test my theory.

I’m also sure there are plenty of similar tales out there ...
I knocked my phone of a low table of about a foot, the camera in a protective case with the lid shut and it still cracked! I have dropped from a greater height a couple of my old olympus cameras and they have been fine.
Old 28th January 2020, 10:07 AM
Friend

I droped my bronica SQAi still not sure how it fell out of my hand and landed on pavement just damaging the lens filter ring. which I manage to separate from the lens with a lot of work. there was no other damage I'm pleased to say

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.

Last edited by photomi7ch; 28th January 2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: justs
Old 28th January 2020, 11:04 AM
Friend

I've never broken my Linhof despite some rough treatment for about 50 years
Old 28th January 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Certainly old Barnack Leicas must bounce, last summer I was coming down the 194 steps at Mont Orgueil Castle after a day of living history when the strap broke and the camera bounced down at least 50 granite steps to the bottom, not evem a dent, just lost the Orange filter which was held on with blu rac, and still working perfectly
Richard
Old 28th January 2020, 02:16 PM
Friend

My 6 month old Yashica 124g TLR might have bounced, but the mirror broke, crunched the corner of the body and jammed the focussing.
Thieves broke into the compound where my van was parked overnight.
Broke into several vehicles and stole tools galore. Then used my van as a battering ram to break into the main building.
The police found the camera outside the fence.
No insurance, so I had to take it on the chin.
Glad it was the firms van not mine.
First time I had left a camera in the motor overnight. All this with security cameras, high iron railings topped with razor wire.
Lovely camera while I had it.
Old 28th January 2020, 07:50 PM
Friend

Nat, the 124G is a lovely camera. I bought one of the very last when they were being discontinued, and whilst they might bounce I can sadly testify that thet can't swim.

They must now be growing a cult following as prices climb steadily. Now getting to the point you'd be better off buying a bulkier but more versatile Mamiya TLR.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
I knocked my phone of a low table of about a foot, the camera in a protective case with the lid shut and it still cracked! I have dropped from a greater height a couple of my old olympus cameras and they have been fine.
Was this a Sony phone by any chance? I repaired the screen 3 times on mine after similar low-impact events before I took the hint and bought another make at less than the cost of the new screens...

I have a Nikon F3 that was already pre-dropped for me - massive dent in the prism housing that someone had hammered out to an approximation of it's original shape, dented base-plate etc. Works fine...
Old 28th January 2020, 10:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Was this a Sony phone by any chance? I repaired the screen 3 times on mine after similar low-impact events before I took the hint and bought another make at less than the cost of the new screens...

I have a Nikon F3 that was already pre-dropped for me - massive dent in the prism housing that someone had hammered out to an approximation of it's original shape, dented base-plate etc. Works fine...

iPhone 6s , screens are too big I think so they break to easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies