Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2020, 08:04 PM
Friend

Default Leica R Summicron or Summilux

I'm considering looking out for a 50mm lens for my R6.2 - so a 3 cam, obviously. I have a couple of questions:

a) I don't actually need the extra speed of a Summilux; but is it a better lens than the Summicron in general?

b) Most of the 3 cam Summicrons that appear for sale appear to be ELC rather than German made (I do see German Summicrons that, judging by their serial numbers, are upgrades to 3 cam). Are the German Summicrons any better than the Canadian ones?

I'd be happy getting a late lens: I don't need ROM though.
Old 29th September 2020, 07:41 AM
Friend

I doubt very much as a user you would be very hard pushed to tell the difference between a Summicron and a Summilux (apart from a bigger dent in the bank account). Ask yourself do I actually need an extra stop? Will I use the extra capability that the wider aperture would allow? Is the Summilux any better than the Summicron - that is open to debate.
Old 13th October 2020, 11:38 AM
Friend

I would suggest that you consider whether or not you will have a rush of blood to the head in the future and diced to do a lot of low light photography where the extra stop may come in handy. Now having written this I just thought you could always use a much fast film.
Problem solved

I have been reading a book on eco building and one of things that stood out is you should build in a certain amount of future proofing. Something that could be translated to photography.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th October 2020, 02:16 PM
Friend

Hi Michael,

I have a Summicron-R, latest, made in Canada, a superb lens, best performance already at f/4. No experience with the Summilux, however apart from the latest version E60 filter diameter (3 versions exist) it's no better than the Summicron.
As for Canada vs Germany, no difference.
Old 13th October 2020, 02:59 PM
Friend

Thank you, Miha. That answers my original questions.
Old 13th October 2020, 04:35 PM
Friend

My Lux is an M version but it really is like x2 lenses in one. Soft and glowy at f1.4 and sharp and contrasty after f2.8. Not sure if it is the same with the R versions.
Old 13th October 2020, 06:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by monst View Post
My Lux is an M version but it really is like x2 lenses in one. Soft and glowy at f1.4 and sharp and contrasty after f2.8. Not sure if it is the same with the R versions.
Curiously, my 1934 Summar is a bit like that. I have been trying out a postwar Summitar lately but haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 13th October 2020, 08:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Thank you, Miha. That answers my original questions.
My pleasure, however when the situations calls for f/1.4 there is no way around! Summilux-R is way too expensive for me - over a grand -, so I added a FDn Canon 50mm f/1.4 to my toolbox, they go for 50-100 EUR / GBP (you need to spend and another 50-100 EUR / GBP for the Canon camera body of your choice and you're set) I don't think you'll see any difference wide-open between the two. Good luck with your choice.
Old 14th October 2020, 08:18 AM
Friend

Default Summa/Summitar

Quote:
Curiously, my 1934 Summar is a bit like that. I have been trying out a postwar Summitar lately but haven't made up my mind yet.
I used to own a Leica manual dating from around 1955 I think. It had comparisons of Leica cameras and lenses from the 111A up to the 111F - it went missing during one of my house moves. I recall there was almost a full chapter on the pre-coated and coated lenses and the Summar was a good lens, but lacked contrast due to the lack of coating. A few of the early Summars were actually treated with an primitive form of coating, but most of these went into Military service.

About 1939 they revamped the Summar into the Summitar and from 1945 all were coated with a consequential improvement in contrast and definition. There was also a very few examples of the Summitar being fitted into rigid mounts like the later Summicon.

I do believe that some of these uncoated Summars could be returned to the factory Wetzlar to be cleaned and coated.

Last edited by John King; 14th October 2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
I'm considering looking out for a 50mm lens for my R6.2 - so a 3 cam, obviously. I have a couple of questions:

a) I don't actually need the extra speed of a Summilux; but is it a better lens than the Summicron in general?

b) Most of the 3 cam Summicrons that appear for sale appear to be ELC rather than German made (I do see German Summicrons that, judging by their serial numbers, are upgrades to 3 cam). Are the German Summicrons any better than the Canadian ones?

I'd be happy getting a late lens: I don't need ROM though.

Can’t help with your lens question, Michael, but I’d be interested in your opinion of the R6.2. I love 35mm SLRs and have used lots of different ones over the years. I’ve never tried an R6, though. I’m curious to know if you think it’s “better” than other SLRs. If it feels anything like an M3 but with a bright SLR finder it would be some machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies