Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th February 2010, 06:50 PM
Friend

Default Want to start RA4

As the title says I want to try RA 4 printing, have the basic kit as in colour head,print drums etc.but little idea where to start.

If someone here could point me to an instruction book, either physical or on line that covers basic principles and practices I would be most greatful.
Had always thought that if I wanted to colour print I would do it via inkjet ( sorry will wash my mouth out with soap and water) but such is my adversion to things computorish that I would far sooner spend the learning curve time in the darkroom aquiring skills I at least partialy understand.

Paul.
Old 7th February 2010, 07:51 PM
Friend

Paul,

This PDF link should help.

http://www.novadarkroom.com/pdf/Mono%20RA4.pdf

Best of luck with your quest :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th February 2010, 08:05 PM
Administrator

A simple primer here written by Terry Staler (a link to a PDF so will either open in a new window or will want you to save the file): http://www.earthscenics.com/manuals/...an_8_11_05.pdf

Your local library MAY still have some suitable books...
Old 7th February 2010, 09:02 PM
Friend

I've got a couple of books you're welcome to.

Kodak Color Darkroom dataguide (1989), and Colour Processing and Printing, Ann Brandeis 1984.

I found them invaluable when I did a bit of colour work a few years ago.

PM me your address and you can have them.

Rob
Old 7th February 2010, 10:47 PM
Friend

Hello.
If you're already doing BW, color printing is nothing extraordinary. The only critical step is finding the right filtration (or filter pack) that will give neutral colors. This can be done by trial and error (with some expense at beginning), and once established will be generally always the same for a combination of paper, film and chemistry. Minor adjustments may be required. Here a thread with my and other members experience: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=1866.
My starter book for color work was “Color Photography” by Henry Horenstein (Little, Brown 1995 ISBN 0-316-37316-8), albeit a bit dated gives a good all around information about color photography, from the history of color materials, to exposure, development and print. The Kodak Color Darkroom Dataguide (ISBN 0-87985-611-4), as suggested by Rob Archer, is also a good source of information about processing and materials, even if the latter are mostly regarding products no longer available (I have the 1996 edition).

Cheers, Marty.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:59 PM
Friend

second hand bookshops are a good source for books on colour printing.

or

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...ithin=Go&sts=t
Old 8th February 2010, 02:38 PM
Friend

One thing that could get you frustrated with colour printing is viewing the test strip with these new-fangled 'energy-saving' lamps -- they give the print much more Magenta and when you take it to Daylight it looks all GREEN ! I have an Ilford Blue 10x8" daylight filter in an old safelight that I use now there is not much daylight and last night I got very good colour balance and viewed the prints by daylight and they all looked 'Perfeck' .
Old 11th February 2010, 05:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
One thing that could get you frustrated with colour printing is viewing the test strip with these new-fangled 'energy-saving' lamps -- they give the print much more Magenta and when you take it to Daylight it looks all GREEN ! I have an Ilford Blue 10x8" daylight filter in an old safelight that I use now there is not much daylight and last night I got very good colour balance and viewed the prints by daylight and they all looked 'Perfeck' .
Or do as I do and use a Phillips North light fluorescent tube.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies