Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2010, 04:38 PM
Friend

Default U.K Black & White Photography Magazine Photo competition

At last, this year they have made it worthwhile entering their annual Photographer of the Year Competition.

The overall winner gets a £1000 in cash plus £750 in other prizes, and the single image categories have such prizes as;

Portrait £250 Silverprint voucher (well done Martin)
Reportage £250 Olympus voucher
Still Life £250 Fotospeed voucher
silver Printer £250 AG Photographic voucher (well done Matt)

Not a thing from Harman Which I find strange because last years overall runner up, Susan Bullock shot on HP5 and printed on their paper. The portrait winner was shot on Delta 100, Silver printer of the year was shot on Pan F, and printed On Harmans paper, and the under 21's was shot and printed using Harman products. But Hey Ho!

So, will you be representing our art this year? I know I will, I like collecting the rejection slips

Stoo

Last edited by Stoo Batchelor; 20th February 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
Old 20th February 2010, 04:47 PM
Friend

Thanks for the information Stoo and all the best with your entry. I will try to get to somewhere to buy a copy and have a look.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th February 2010, 06:44 PM
Friend

I'll take a look when I get my copy next week and will certainly consider entering Richard
Old 20th February 2010, 07:07 PM
Friend

The portrait category looks interesting, although I would probably collect a rejection slip as well.
Old 21st February 2010, 09:55 AM
Friend

Am thinking about it, realy must stop thinking and start doing.

Paul.
Old 21st February 2010, 04:18 PM
Friend

I try to do this every year but always leave it to the last minute to start printing. Entered the last one and apparently got to the final
shortlist, just short of the prizes.

I can remember printing in a mad panic, handing the wet prints out the darkroom door for my girlfriend to dry with the hairdryer, fill out the forms and pack them up so we could make the post office before it shut !!

I was browsing through AP the other day and their competition dishes out around £2000 worth of prizes every month.
Old 21st February 2010, 05:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill spears View Post

I was browsing through AP the other day and their competition dishes out around £2000 worth of prizes every month.
Yeh but I bet they are all digital prizes

Paul.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
At last, this year they have made it worthwhile entering their annual Photographer of the Year Competition.

The overall winner gets a £1000 in cash plus £750 in other prizes, and the single image categories have such prizes as;

Portrait £250 Silverprint voucher (well done Martin)
Reportage £250 Olympus voucher
Still Life £250 Fotospeed voucher
silver Printer £250 AG Photographic voucher (well done Matt)

Not a thing from Harman Which I find strange because last years overall runner up, Susan Bullock shot on HP5 and printed on their paper. The portrait winner was shot on Delta 100, Silver printer of the year was shot on Pan F, and printed On Harmans paper, and the under 21's was shot and printed using Harman products. But Hey Ho!

So, will you be representing our art this year? I know I will, I like collecting the rejection slips

Stoo
To add

I have just read the rules of the competition today, and by entering you are agreeing that if you are a winner, your work will be part of an exhibition at Hoopers Gallery in London, which will run from the 2nd to the 9th September. Your work will be valued by them, and up for sale. If sold, the proceeds will be split three ways, a third for you, the gallery and the magazine. Personally I feel that this is no bad thing at all.

Hoopers is a nice Gallery that I have visited on more than one occasion, and some huge names in photography have exhibited there in the past. I know Les McLean does a lot of work with them, and could have a part in this exhibition, though that is a complete guess.

Stoo
Old 21st February 2010, 08:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
The portrait category looks interesting, although I would probably collect a rejection slip as well.
Yeh, right oh Keith! Your finest work is your portraits. You stand more chance than most of winning a prize.

Best

Stoo
Old 21st February 2010, 08:11 PM
Friend

Yes it looks like only Matt and Martin have the real goods although I suppose that over time £250 at Fotospeed on chems and paper is perfectly possible. However the Olympus voucher has to be all digi, doesn't it?.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies