Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th June 2010, 09:38 AM
Friend

Default Youngsters eh?

My Grandson (age 7) has been living abroad almost all his life - his dad's in the R.A.F. - and is back here in England again. Anyway, this weekend we were out about as a family and I was taking pictures with my Bronica. He instantly wanted to look at the back of my camera to see each picture as I took it. He has no concept of film and just couldn't understand why he coildn't view images instantly. This made me realise that there must be thousands of young children who are just the same. All they know is digital. I found this not a little bit scary, and it made me feel rather old. I guess I've got some educating to do.
Old 7th June 2010, 09:47 AM
Friend

And some explaining as to why granddad is daft enough not to use a proper camera.
Old 7th June 2010, 02:46 PM
Friend

My 5 year old grandson took a photograph of my wife and I last Saturday with my 8x10 camera. The camera is almost as big as him but he just loves tripping the shutter via the cable release and laughs when he views the upside down/reverse image on the GG screen. Well at least its 'live view'
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 7th June 2010, 03:45 PM
Friend

Next month I've got an A level student for a week on 'work experience'. I've seen the CV and she's into photography, all DSLR's and computers. Nothing but film and darkroom for her!
Old 7th June 2010, 04:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Next month I've got an A level student for a week on 'work experience'. I've seen the CV and she's into photography, all DSLR's and computers. Nothing but film and darkroom for her!
Expose her to a safelight and you may have a convert.
Old 7th June 2010, 07:31 PM
Friend

Handing my Hasselblad over to my 4 year old grandaughter had me sweating a bit but worth it when we got into the darkroom and she stood on a chair put the paper in the MAGIC water, the expression on her face when she showed her print to mam was priceless.
Now they use digital and email me pictures from Thailand where mam is teaching but know Bamps pictures are special and have a visit to the darkroom when they visit to produce victorian portraites (sepia ) or ghost pictures (double exposure one with them in one out ) or the real magic of slides, had to go and buy them a viewer each they faught so much over whos turn it was to look.

Our hobby is not the norm these days which is why the youngsters find it so fasinateing if we take the time to show them its attractions, undoutedly we will not convert them all but some will see the merit we see and hopefuly the seeds we plant will grow in them so that they appreciate photography as ourselves.

Paul.
Old 8th June 2010, 08:02 AM
Friend

My children just love slides - in fact they got me back into shooting reversal film after a break of six or seven years. My style conscious 14 year old daughter quite often takes an old cosmic symbol or zenit EM. She says they are cool and much better for black and white.

Jack
Old 8th June 2010, 06:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
My children just love slides - in fact they got me back into shooting reversal film after a break of six or seven years. My style conscious 14 year old daughter quite often takes an old cosmic symbol or zenit EM. She says they are cool and much better for black and white.

Jack
There really is nothing to beat a slide show with a good projector and white screen. You feel you are almost there and can touch the objects in the scene.

I suspect that the alternative projectors will remain a long way behind in terms of visual quality.

Mike
Old 8th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Friend

Quite so Mike.
I'm pleased that I blew so much cash on a second hand Leitz projector all those years ago, and I must say just how good the new reversal films are - I'm particularly impressed with Kodak's E100g.

jack
Old 8th June 2010, 07:46 PM
Friend

I have found with youngsters that if us old uns are prepared to take the time and trouble to explain and show them the art of film photography,(in my case black and white), they love it, t is up us if we want to keep our skills alive to take the time,Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies